Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Digital camera questions

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2004, 11:40 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Digital camera questions

About to buy a new digi cam (Canon 300D), but I wondered if it was worth spending extra on the faster compact flash cards?

Also, I'm getting an additional battery. It's Hahnel rather than original Canon and wondered if it will be just be as good.

Stefan
Old 02 July 2004, 11:42 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Oh, and any preference on the card manufacturers - SanDisk, PQI, Lexar, etc..
Old 02 July 2004, 12:25 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stefan,

I've had no problems with the Hahnel battires on the 10D, so can't see you having any problems. Note that Canon will not honour the warranty if there are any problems using 3rd party batteries, but I guess you knew that.

As for fast CF cards, well the 300D (and the 10D) cannot themselves take advantage of the write accelerated cards (WA) cards. However, if you use a USB CF card reader to download to you PC (recommended, as using a USB 2.0 card reader is so much faster than direct camera to PC connection as the camera USB is only 1.1), you will see a little improvement there.

Basically, if you are going to stick with the 300D, then don't bother spending the extra to get the really fast cards. However, if you think you might upgrade to say the 1D MkII (that can use these faster cards), then it might be a worthwhile investment.

All CF cards I've used have been much of a muchness. But stick with the big names if you can, bit easier to warranty claim if you should have any problems.

Add Fuji to your list. I use their 512Mb ones all the time now, not had any problems and they are in the middle ground with regards to cost.

Only stuff to miss off your list is the MagiStor brand of microdrives, or basically any no name make that supplies a 2.2Gb microdrive. They simply don't work very well with the 300D, 10D etc.

Cheers

Ian
Old 02 July 2004, 12:29 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Bought a SanDisk 256mb Ultra card from Jessops (I was desperate OK!!) with a write speed of 10mb /sec. I find its the capacity rather than the speed thats the problem.

You can usually get a card reader from Aldi for a tenner - although they usually have them locked away so you'll need to ask.
Old 02 July 2004, 01:21 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've been using a 1Gb IBM microdrive in my 10D for the last year, and have had no problems at all. It actually seems quicker than the scandisk card I have (although it's not an ultra - just a bog standard one if I remember correctly). Like ian said, I wouldn't bother going for the ultra fast cards, as the extra cost just isn't worth it IMO...

Iain
Old 02 July 2004, 01:50 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

OK, that's cool. I may upgrade the SLR in time, but I'm just stepping up from a film SLR and want the extra flexibility from digital. Have a new Sony W1 compact digi cam and thought the SLR had much more potential than going for another high-end digi-cam (the SLR-like ones). Means I can use a couple of my existing SLR lenses with the new one.

Thanks for the info,

Stefan
Old 02 July 2004, 02:06 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

I use a 300D with the IBM 1GB microdrive, works a treat and good performance. Normally download pics via a mediagear USB 2card reader.

Great pictures from the 300D, I would highly recommend one. The 10D is much better build wise, but doesn't include the wide angle lens and costs more. I must admitt I would have gone for a 10D if money was no object, or for serious use/abuse.

Dan