Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Exporting mailboxes from Lotus notes...

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2004, 02:04 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exporting mailboxes from Lotus notes...

Can it be done ??? I'm setting up an exchange server and want to export a couple of mailboxes from notes then import them into outlook/exchange.

I have found a lotus connector for exchange, but this seems a bit excessive for just 2 mailboxes...

Any help would be most appreciated!!

Simon
Old 21 June 2004, 02:09 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What version of Notes and what client are you using on that. Same with Exchange - what server & client versions?

There are migration tools out there, but could be expensive just for two mailboxes. What exactly do you want and need to export?

Stefan
Old 21 June 2004, 02:21 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Domino version 6.5 running on windows 2000 Server and Notes version 6.5 running on Windows XP to Exchange 5.5 running on Windows 2000 Server and outlook XP running on Windows XP

Only need the mail exported, don't need to worry about calander entries etc
Old 21 June 2004, 02:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

One of the biggest hassles is converting the mail sender fields. When you migrate mail across, it can leave the old Notes addressing and prevents the user from using the Reply to and Reply to all fields.

If that's a problem for your users, then you may have to look at a migration tool rather than just a simple export/import one.

Stefan
Old 21 June 2004, 03:54 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

I don't think the reply problem will be much of an issue, as long as they can see who the email was originally from then they can always create a new email or even forward it to the recipient.

Simon
Old 21 June 2004, 04:06 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Never really had much experience with Notes migrations and the tools I've used in the past have been costly - Aelita for one is about £40 per mailbox IIRC.

The connectors are really designed for co-existance i.e. mailing between Exchange & Notes systems as well as sharing address book info. You could use this to e-mail all the contents of the mailbox from the existing Notes users over to their new Exchange mailboxes, but I doubt it's worth the hassle for two users.

Does Lotus have any export features in the Notes client. At least with Outlook you can just export a complete mailbox to a single PST file.

Not sure if this is of any use to you - http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/do...esImporter.asp

Stefan
Old 21 June 2004, 05:20 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Never really had much experience with Notes migrations and the tools I've used in the past have been costly - Aelita for one is about £40 per mailbox IIRC.

The connectors are really designed for co-existance i.e. mailing between Exchange & Notes systems as well as sharing address book info. You could use this to e-mail all the contents of the mailbox from the existing Notes users over to their new Exchange mailboxes, but I doubt it's worth the hassle for two users.

Does Lotus have any export features in the Notes client. At least with Outlook you can just export a complete mailbox to a single PST file.

Not sure if this is of any use to you - http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/do...esImporter.asp

Stefan
Thanks for your help Stefan I will give them a go and let you know how I get on
Old 21 June 2004, 06:35 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Use the Exchange migration wizard which comes as standard with the Exchange tools. As long as the Domino server is up, it's dead easy to migrate the mail on the Domino server to a PST file or straight to the Exchange server. When I moved one of our business units from Notes to Exchange, I migrated 100s of mailboxes in this way.

If you need a tool to convert contacts from Notes to Exchange, drop me a PM.
Old 21 June 2004, 06:37 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

BTW, that converter winna work with versions of Notes later than five. Another cheat I occasionally used, was to setup Outlook with the Notes mail service, then just copy the Notes mail to a PST file.
Old 21 June 2004, 10:13 PM
ScoobyDaz
Scooby Regular

Question

Why on earth would you want to go from notes to exchange 5.5?

daz
Old 22 June 2004, 12:54 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Miles this cheat you mention about configuring Outlook with the notes mail service how do you do that ??

Daz one of our clients is moving a couple of users from there germany office (who use notes) to the UK (using exchange).
Seems my knowledge of Lotus notes can be written on the back of a beer mat you can see my problem !!
Although to be honest from all the problems I have had with it I would still rather use exchange 5.5 then notes anyday.