Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows 98 SE - system reboots sporadically

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2004, 11:18 PM
ronper61
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windows 98 SE - system reboots sporadically

I have a TIME PC (model 366M02GB2B) which I have totally wiped and reinstalled Windows 98 SE.

Processor: AMD500
Motherboard: FIC VIA Micropage
Graphics: Trident 3D Blaze
Sound: VIA AC97 Audio Chipset
Modem: HSP56 Micromodem
RAM: 196MB

I have downloaded every possible driver update I can find, but the PC will reboot whenever it feels like it, sometimes after a few hours, sometimes after a few minutes.

The weirdest thing is that after the power has been turned off at the plug, when it's switched back on, the PC starts to boot up, flashes up the Windows 98 logo for a sec and then reboots again going through the memory check again, then of course it runs Scandisk as it didn't shut down properly.

I have updated the BIOS, checked the graphics adapter settings, but am not sure what else to check as it is totally sporadic.

I have installed Norton Antivirus 2004 and have downloaded all the latest updates. A full system scan shows the PC to be virus free.

If anybody can help me on this, I would be eternally grateful as I'm ready to throw it out the window!

Many thanks in advance....

Mark, Leeds (UK).
Old 20 June 2004, 11:37 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

after reading this in general technical i think i know what your problem is you bought a pc from from TIME

do you get a blue screen when the pc shuts down
Old 20 June 2004, 11:43 PM
ronper61
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stevebt
after reading this in general technical i think i know what your problem is you bought a pc from from TIME

do you get a blue screen when the pc shuts down
No, shutting down ok, it's the starting up that's the problem...

Mark...
Old 21 June 2004, 12:41 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

As Steve sorta said Mark, this post should have been in Computer Related, not Gen Tech.

Anyway...

As has been said, Time PC's are sh*t at the best of times. Unfortunately if the problem has recently started, and you've gone through all the Windows and driver updates you can find, chances are it's failing hardware.

Have you checked to make sure the CPU fan is still fully functional? With a PC of this age, that's the first potential failure to rule out. Beyond that, could be a failing CPU, failing motherboard, memory or indeed summat else. Unfortunately it's impossible to diagnose stuff like this without running a process of elimination.

Is there any more info you can give - like is the rebooting totally sporadic, is it linked to running a certain application, something like that?
Old 21 June 2004, 12:47 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

What happens if you force it too boot in safe mode by pressing one of the F keys?

(it's either F5 F8 or F10...can't remember now, and I'm not going to re-boot to find out...takes ages on this thing).

Will it re-boot as you say, or will it boot up ok?....if it's the latter, may well be a bad driver, registry entry or application that causing the problem.

However, I did once have a system that would re-boot whenever it felt like....turned out to be the power supply was dropping the voltage too much(TTL voltage was 4.2v instead of 5v and 12volt circuit was dropping to 10volts) which caused it to reset.

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 June 2004 at 12:50 AM.
Old 21 June 2004, 11:15 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

I did have a similar problem to this with my PC (Home built). It would reboot from a bugcheck - I suggest you check the event viewer under system admin tools for any error message..... I tried a few things and eventually upgraded the broadband modem driver (of all things).. Hasn't done it since (4 months )

Let us know if there's a code in the event list....

Mark
PS _ Just noticed you're running 98 - Maybe doesn't have an event viewer...

Last edited by markwild; 21 June 2004 at 11:15 AM. Reason: -noticed you're running 98 ....
Old 21 June 2004, 12:51 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Try replacing the Battery on the motherboard which retains the Bios - failing that try another Power Supply.

Cheers

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2004, 11:17 PM
ronper61
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Delboy2
Try replacing the Battery on the motherboard which retains the Bios - failing that try another Power Supply.

Cheers
Thanks to all who have replied with ideas, and sorry I put this in the wrong forum!

I'll have a look and let you all know.

Mark...