Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Pioneer DVD-RW Problem

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2004, 10:07 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer DVD-RW Problem

Have just purchased an apparently "working" pioneer A05 drive from ebay which seems to be having problems writing with disc errors every time. I am using "Ritek Tango Overprint (4x) DVD-R" as reccommended by blankdiscshop for this type of drive but having no luck.

Is there anything I can try before giving up and going back to the seller?

cheers

David
Old 16 June 2004, 10:10 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

David,

What version of the firmware are you running on it and what software are you using to burn?

Jules
Old 16 June 2004, 10:12 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by judgejules
David,

What version of the firmware are you running on it and what software are you using to burn?

Jules
Have the latest firmware installed and have tried both nero and PrimoDVD - nero reports a "power calibration error" and primo reports a "disc read error"
Old 16 June 2004, 10:18 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Is it on a "master" part of the IDE cable with DMA ticked ?

On the Instructions it says never to use anything but master - this is not stricly true as I have two and one is a slave and still work fine, but has to be worth a mention.
Old 16 June 2004, 10:19 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Hmm, some places on the net say it could be a dirty lens (try blowing inside a few times). Other say its media related:

"Power calibration" - When burning a CD the drive tries to write a test signal to the disk to set the calibration of the laser. If it cannot write a readable signal, this is called a "power calibration error". The error message usually means that there is something wrong with the media. After much trial and error, I determined that the none of my 48x media (100pc no-name spindle) worked with my Lite-On burner but 40x media from Verbatim, Sony, and Maxell did work. TKD media did not work at any speed on my system.
HTH

Jules
Old 16 June 2004, 10:20 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
Is it on a "master" part of the IDE cable with DMA ticked ?

On the Instructions it says never to use anything but master - this is not stricly true as I have two and one is a slave and still work fine, but has to be worth a mention.
Yep set up as master, even took the other drive out completely just to make sure nothing was conflicting.
Old 16 June 2004, 11:23 PM
Pongo555
Scooby Regular

Power calibration error i caused when the laser in the burner has to work harder then normal to burn the disc i have not had this prblem but a friend of mine did looked it up on the internet and this was the fault changed to different brand of disc and all A ok i have the same burner as you and i use Datawrite discs and have had no probs trust me try another brand of disc before going back to seller.

Pongo555

Trending Topics

Old 16 June 2004, 11:34 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have this all the time on my Pioneer A04 DVD-RW

Never have found a fix for it, tried different media, which it tends to burn about 3 discs, then burns no more, unless I unplug it, and dont use it for a few months
Old 17 June 2004, 01:08 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Power calibration errors signify either:

1) The laser is on it's way out. CD-R burning should be no problem but DVD burning is unlikely.

2) Poor quality media.

(2) definately holds true in this instance but that doesn't rule out (1) as the drive is at least a year old.
The 'tango' overprints are naff. Bottom of the barrel Ritek.

A DVD writer is not something you should buy second hand unless you know the person you're getting it from. Chances are the majority of drives for sale on ebay have been hardcore'd then flogged on at the end of their life. The drives conveniently work if left for a week or two but soon pack in again after a couple of burns.

You can get 106 & 107's around the £60 now and you know what you're getting for that money.

If you can still send the drive back, i would. If you get no joy from the seller, leave a bad ref.
Old 17 June 2004, 10:25 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

SDB thanks for the info, thats exactly what mine does, and get the same errors on CDR burning with it too, guess I have urnt mine out now (can be ok if left for a few weeks tho, so ebay here I come LOL, only a joke by the way)

I have ordered a brand new 107 today, and I get it tomorrow, 57 quid for the full boxed retail version