Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Tom Tom Navigator not opening on PDA

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2004, 12:52 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom Tom Navigator not opening on PDA

Hi all,

Don't know if anyone has come across this before - I have Tom Tom 3 with bluetooth installed on my Ipaq 2210.

Everything has been working ok until today when I've been unable to open Navigator on the PDA - it looks as though it is trying to open (Tom Tom Navihator briefly appears at the top of the screen) but then nothing happens...

I've tried reloading TomTom3 and again it all looks ok and I can even see the files installed but I still can't get the Navigator to open.....

I'd be really greatful for any tips...

Many thanks,

Russ
Old 09 June 2004, 01:10 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Re Install the maps onto your storage card
Old 09 June 2004, 01:23 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avi
Re Install the maps onto your storage card
Tried that already. I've subsequently discovered that other users have had a similar problem before when their PDA has run out of battery power and to be honest, the last time I remember mine working was on a journey back from Cornwall last week and the battery did indeed run out then (the Tom Tom 3 car charger decided not to work on that occasion and has since been replaced by the retailer).

So...I've reloaded the GB maps to the CF card, I've reloaded Navigator but still no joy...

R
Old 09 June 2004, 03:00 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Had similar today - is the battery power ok now? Seems when it dips below 20% it turns off access to the SD and CF cards, which again stopped Navigator working.

BTW - Have the same set up as you.
Old 09 June 2004, 03:36 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Had similar today - is the battery power ok now? Seems when it dips below 20% it turns off access to the SD and CF cards, which again stopped Navigator working.

BTW - Have the same set up as you.
Thanks for the tip and again it's something I'd considered - I've checked the battery and it shows 80%. Perhaps it needs to fully recharge again?

I've got a support issue raised with TomTom so hopefully I'll crack it soon.

Set-up is great when it works though so far I haven't had it all working ok at the same time yet - last week the car charger blew up and I still can't get the speed camera poi to make a noise (despite setting it up to do so) when a camera is detected...arrgggghhh!

Cheers for the tip anyhow - I'll post when/if I get a resolution...
Old 09 June 2004, 04:04 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RussBoy
Thanks for the tip and again it's something I'd considered - I've checked the battery and it shows 80%. Perhaps it needs to fully recharge again?

I've got a support issue raised with TomTom so hopefully I'll crack it soon.

Set-up is great when it works though so far I haven't had it all working ok at the same time yet - last week the car charger blew up and I still can't get the speed camera poi to make a noise (despite setting it up to do so) when a camera is detected...arrgggghhh!

Cheers for the tip anyhow - I'll post when/if I get a resolution...
Bugger - sounds a bit strange then.

What software are you running for the POI's? CheckPOInt? If so and you tick the audio warning box, it still doesn't give one as you need to upload some wav files to the PDA to use for it, there doesn't appear to be any default ones like there were in POIWarner on my old PDA.......
Old 09 June 2004, 04:48 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Yep, I'm using Checkpoint. I did manage to find some .wav files though and managed to sucessfully test them through the pda too....Once I get the SatNav working again I'll then spend a bit of time on this as it was the main reason I went for this set-up...

Still waiting to hear from Tom Tom...

Trending Topics

Old 09 June 2004, 08:03 PM
ScoobyDaz
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hi,

Is it the TOMTOM bluetooth GPS receiver, if so there are MAJOR issues with the 2210, TT BT receiver and TT3. have a look at the forums on expansys.co.uk and pocketgps.co.uk

I've got the 1940 and TT BT receiver and have been having loads of problems with it locking up, now flashed the IPAQ to latest version and it seems to be ok

Daz
Old 10 June 2004, 08:37 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDaz
Hi,

Is it the TOMTOM bluetooth GPS receiver, if so there are MAJOR issues with the 2210, TT BT receiver and TT3. have a look at the forums on expansys.co.uk and pocketgps.co.uk

I've got the 1940 and TT BT receiver and have been having loads of problems with it locking up, now flashed the IPAQ to latest version and it seems to be ok

Daz
Hi Daz - yes it is that set up. I have seen the posts on pocketgps.co.uk but the errors on mine at the moment seem to be software based on the PDA and not with the bluetooth transmission (as I can get the GPS element of TT3 working which shows speed and grid co-ordinates of location etc. - just not the map element....)

When I re-loaded TT Navigator I simply over-wrote the other version - I will try deleting the software entirely tonight and then reloading.

Still no answer from TT though....

Russ
Old 11 June 2004, 02:02 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your answers chaps - still haven't heard anything from Tom Tom though after 3 days! Great customer service...

However, I think I've sorted it...I resorted to a 'hard reset' and then reloaded everything and did a re-sync with my laptop which kept most of the important data for me (As you loose everything when you hard reset). I still need to reload Checkpoint and the POIs though and actually think that the POI's may have had something tyo do with the failure as that's the only thing I hadn't tried reloading before the reset and a guy on one of the PDA forums reckons he's had trouble with these on his 2210...

I think the moral of the story is to keep the PDA charged at all times now! (and not to bother wasting my time buying from TomTom again!)

Russ
Old 11 June 2004, 10:23 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Just an update on the 2210 and TT BT GPS problems in TT3. To prevent lockups/freezing of the BT GPS you need to do the following.

1). Upgrade TT3 to V3.02.
2). Before running TT3 you need to perform a soft reset, this will ensure that the BT stack is clear and all available memory is free.

This works for me every time, if I don't do the soft reset it will freeze.