Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Pro Tools

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2004, 01:32 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pro Tools

Anybody know anything about pro tools? Can you give me advice on the audio PC program ie.. newest versions out, best versions, how to get started, easy/hard to learn, Anything really.

Thanks

Jono
Old 31 May 2004, 10:02 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

drop me an email - I use it on the Mac.

Dan
Old 31 May 2004, 04:10 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Hi Scrappy

I have ProTools LE, which I use on a PC and a Mac. It came with the MBox, which is effectively a USB soundcard, though you can also get it with other, more expensive Digidesign Hardware.

LE is the "cut down" version. But this is compared to the HD systems which is the software of choice in pro studios and requires serious gear ... but LE is not a "Lite" version - it is a proper and powerful program. I'm assuming this is the one you want. Latest version is about 6.2 I think. There is a later update, available from the Digidesign website (www.digidesign.com), for Mac OSX 10.3.3.

There's quite a learning curve for ProTools, depending on how familiar you are with multitrack recording techniques generally. There's a quick start guide that comes with it that gets you up and running - the full manual is a real monster. There are also a few books around that also offer guidance, and Digidesign's website has a "User Conference" where you can go to ask questions - but read the FAQ and do a search first as they can be hard on those that don't ... This is a serious programme (did I already say that?), which means that there's a lot to learn, but after a bit of practice it becomes second nature, and you can then go on to explore the deeper recesses of the manual.

How good it is depends on what you want to do with it. It excels at recording audio (obviously ...), though you can also record/write/edit in midi (though you'll need a separate midi interface if you want to input/output to external midi devices such as keyboards). If what you want to do is mostly electronic music you may want to look at other packages such as Logic, Cubase etc. However, if you do want to record audio it's fantastic.

Bear in mind that to get any kind of use out of it you will require a fairly powerful computer, PC or Mac. If you're using a PC you'll need XP (Pro or Home), a fast processor and at least 512mb of RAM, and preferably 1024. Ideally you'd also want a separate 7200 rpm hard drive, built-in or firewire, for audio files. You'll probably also want to tweak your system so that all the processor hungry stuff is switched off. This month's Computer Music has a section on tweaking your PC for audio. Better still, get a dedicated audio PC ...

On the Mac, you'll really need a Powermac/Powebook G4 with at least 1Mhz processor (the dual procs on the desktop systems apparently really rock) and again the separate hard drive. Macs are generally more optimised for music than PC's so there's less tweaking you need to do.

Hope this is helpful. Post again if you have more questions.

Father Jack
Old 01 June 2004, 08:22 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Actually it's Future Music, not Computer Music, that has the XP tweaks article. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Old 02 June 2004, 08:16 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

yep head on over to the computer music forums at www.computermusic.co.uk and ask the similar question bound to get a bundle of answers.