Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

WTF do M$ upgrades mean a step backward?

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2004, 10:06 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down WTF do M$ upgrades mean a step backward?

I was happily running IE5.0 no problems whatsoever, but had to upgrade to 6 to install F1 Challenge 99-02, **** knows why but thats probably the inherently bad architecture of Windows, anyway so install V6 then I get some search bar called MySearch which I never installed, my nice little javascript menu system for our intranet now renders slightly wrong, what a pile of steaming dog turd!

Gary
Old 17 May 2004, 10:10 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Its nothing to do with MS, but the MySearch toobar is spyware/adware so best to get some spyware removal installed

Edit: You should be able to remove it through Add/Remove Programs and then just reset your homepage.

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 17 May 2004 at 10:12 AM.
Old 17 May 2004, 11:32 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
I was happily running IE5.0 no problems whatsoever, but had to upgrade to 6 to install F1 Challenge 99-02, **** knows why but thats probably the inherently bad architecture of Windows
If a company wants to distribute IE with their product, hen they have to distribute the latest version, (so MS don't have to worry about outdated versions of their software being distributed as new software). The real question to ask is why F1 Challenge needs a new browser, and why the software company chose to force you to install it. This is nothing to do with the architecture of Windows.

anyway so install V6 then I get some search bar called MySearch which I never installed
So not only do they force you to install a new browser, but they install spyware on your machine as well. I'd be seriously thinking twice about using this F1 software myself.

my nice little javascript menu system for our intranet now renders slightly wrong
You mean that when you write your javascript, you don't make it cross-browser compatible?

IE5 had numerous security holes, memory leaks, and bugs of which most have been fixed in IE6 (although a few new ones have been introduced). It's still the most complete browser out there, although mozilla is catching up rapidly. I suspect the menu script you have exploits one of these flaws in IE5, and so doesn't work quite as expected in IE6.
Old 17 May 2004, 11:56 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Its alright Gary at least they don't upgrade that often

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5212...?tag=nefd.lede

As a helping comment, I had a similar problem once and doing what DJ Dunk said fixed it.
Old 17 May 2004, 12:02 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yes I would ask the question why F1 needs an updated browser, my guess is something to do with Direct X or the fact that IE updates the 'shell' including widget DLLs such as comctrl32 which causes numerous problems, IE isnt just a browser, in fact IE itself is just a stub that loads the explorer OLE object.

Yes the search toolbar could be installed as part of F1 install, bad if it is.

As for cross browser well yes I run it in mozilla fine, netscape not sure but as its intranet not too concerned. Yep mozilla is my browser of choice although some sites don't work properly as I would ditch IE completely, but as I said above you cant really detach it completely from the Win32 architecture.

Gary
Old 17 May 2004, 12:10 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Very true. I suppose the game may use some of the updated widgets for displaying information, (hence the need for the update). Definitely smells a bit like lazy programming to me though, (I'd write my own widget).

I'd recommend you get hold of spybot or adware. Seem to do a better job of getting rid of stuff than just using the uninstall method, (which tends to leave stuff lying around)....