Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

OS Software - change now or wait... ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2004, 02:08 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question OS Software - change now or wait... ?

Is it worth upgrading from WinME to Win2000, XP or waiting until Win2004/5/6... comes out? Are the 'Pro' versions worthwhile or is the 'Home version' fine for home usage...

Whats happening out there?

Cheers

Mick
Old 11 May 2004, 02:22 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get rid of ME asap.

XP Pro is good.
Old 11 May 2004, 02:30 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

XP Pro is the one to get if you can as it has a lot more features than the home version. Be aware that it does need a bit more memory to run than Xp home or Windows me, (probably 256Mb to run effectively).

Windows me is a load of rubbish, (bug ridden and unstable). I'd get rid of it asap
Old 11 May 2004, 02:34 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Change asap, Win2k or WinXP are soooooo much more stable and have more functionality support. Win2k would be best if youre limited by RAM. XP as said requires at least 256mb to run smoothly. If u go the XP route dont bother with the home version. Pro has a shed load of networking and other stuff that home doesnt.

If not, still change ME to 98se, ME is by far the worst MS OS produced to date.
Old 11 May 2004, 02:38 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windows ME is the work of beelzebub himself. Whatever OS you chose, it's 10 times better than that heap of ****.

I'd vote for XP Pro, but I've never used home edition so can't say if it's worth the extra.

Stefan
Old 11 May 2004, 02:43 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

To add to my previous reply. While you are in transition, why not switch to the best OS currently available...

Mac OSX
Old 11 May 2004, 02:45 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but he'll need to change the hardware too Apple's getting as bad as MS

Trending Topics

Old 11 May 2004, 02:45 PM
ChrisB

Ahh, the IT professionals common hatred of WinME

Another vote for 2000 or XP. Don't wait for Longhorn as it's a good way off yet.
Old 11 May 2004, 02:56 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Longhorn is pants to hehe. Well the dev beta was anyway
Old 11 May 2004, 03:20 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Yeah, but he'll need to change the hardware too Apple's getting as bad as MS
Withthewhatnow? Where did that one come from?
Old 11 May 2004, 03:27 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

From another site re Windows ME:

Windows Me? Windows Me single handedly made my ***** shorter, raped my mum, and killed my dog"
Old 11 May 2004, 03:33 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I like Apple kit, but if you want their OS you need their hardware. If you want their hardware you need their OS. An Apple monopoly is no better than a MS one IMHO

Apple should look at their own 1984 commercial

I like the Linux take on things, but anything looking as user friendly as Unix has no place on the desktop. I tried LindowsOS and the feckin thing wouldn't work on our Dell workstations. Trying to get a video drivers like reinventing the wheel.

Then there's all the permissions - I can't imagine trying to talk one of users through that. They have enough problems understanding NetWare or NT permissions.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on one; just some light-hearted banter on a boring Tuesday afternoon

Stefan
Old 11 May 2004, 03:52 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

No probs.

I hardly thing Apple are anywhere near a monopoly though I would like to see more of us Mac users around though. Would help convincing the blinkered PC world that there are other alternatives to pulling their hair out over simple things
Old 11 May 2004, 04:02 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Mac = niche, video/music editing etc n zero games.

Linux = zero games (well apart from Counterstrike), limited apps and geeky intelligence to use it.

Thats why there will always be a MS monolopy. Readily available apps, games n **** easy to use

All Os's have their day mindu, MS is on a big roll at the moment. This will change in the future.
Old 11 May 2004, 04:15 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Mac = niche, video/music editing etc n zero games.
I wish people would stop saying that one. Mac is no longer just the preserve of music / video / designers.

The new iLife suite + usability + reliability + design + no need for drivers + way more software than you think. Make the new line of Macs a very, very sensible buy for the novice / part time home user.

I just got my Mum an old iBook to replace her (my) old win lappy. She's got herself a digital camera and a printer etc. Using windows its a nightmare of different programmes and there is no possibility of quick easy photo editing (crops, redeye etc).

With the iBook, she just plugs the USB lead into the Mac, iPhoto opens, shows all photos, from which she can print, order prints online, publish to a web-site, email or edit. All of these features run off one single click.

She browses the internet without fear of zillions of popups, uses MS Office, and doesn't have to worry about saving things incase it crashes. She's even editing holiday videos with iMovie and making backing music with Garageband.

I also don't get as many phone calls asking why such and such doesn't work / keeps popping up / keeps forwarding me to microsoft.com / asking for updates / virus alerts etc.

The modern Macs are IMEO a much better choice for the average home user. By a country mile
Old 11 May 2004, 04:16 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I actually wouldn't mind ditching my PC for a Mac since I only really use it for surfing the net, MP3's and editing my home vids.

The price of the Mac's and their repair/upgrade costs put me off them.
Old 11 May 2004, 04:16 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replys... I am aware that there is general illwill towards ME in the IT circles...

ME works OK for me but later features in software & new hardware I think (hope ) will work better with a later operating system. Perhaps I will be amazed at how perfect the new OSs are - somehow I think not though...

I believe viruses designed specifically to exploit 2000 & XP are roaming now
Our company also would not install XP on new machines as yet. All new machines came with 2000...

Anyway one of the reasons I was thinking of changing was due to having a new FX 5200 graphics card that will not perform the appropriate Nvidia demos...

This is my system spec:
ECS K7S5A REV 3.0, Cheepoman BIOS CHB1129 (SSE compliant)
AXP 2400+
512 MB DDR PC3200 & 256 MB DDR PC2100 / Crucial by MICRON.
80GB 7200 RPM ATA 133 HDD / Maxtor DiamondMAX 9.
MSI FX5200 Personal Cinema VT128 - New
DA08A BLack & Silver Case with fancy display
400W Power Supply.
LG GCC-4320B CDRW & DVD
CM1772FS monitor 17" CRT
Wireless mouse & keyboard
HP 940C deskjet printer.
WIN ME OS
Office 2000 Pro

So any other advice you experts might have would be appreciated.

I have got Win98SE - haven't noticed that WinME is any worse than that for crashing/instability etc. Used 2000 at work- did manage to get that to crash once - I like the feature where you can see which programme is hogging resource - I did need it quite alot as I recall.... !

Mick
Old 11 May 2004, 04:30 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by angrynorth
I wish people would stop saying that one. Mac is no longer just the preserve of music / video / designers.
You can wish all you like, there still isnt any games available!

I just got my Mum an old iBook to replace her (my) old win lappy. She's got herself a digital camera and a printer etc. Using windows its a nightmare of different programmes and there is no possibility of quick easy photo editing (crops, redeye etc).
lol no it isn't. Photoshop, Paintshop pro. Theres plenty of PC apps that do exactly the same thing easily.

With the iBook, she just plugs the USB lead into the Mac, iPhoto opens, shows all photos, from which she can print, order prints online, publish to a web-site, email or edit. All of these features run off one single click.
No different on a PC using XP. XP has identical operation. OK you may have to open the individual apps to publish/edit etc but I rather have the choice and be able to configure those, than be forced to use one click.

She browses the internet without fear of zillions of popups, uses MS Office, and doesn't have to worry about saving things incase it crashes. She's even editing holiday videos with iMovie and making backing music with Garageband.
No worries on a PC either, you just have to invest a little bit of time patching and guarding against these things. Macs are not immune to this either. Oh and crashes are a thing of the past with the latest MS Os's.

I also don't get as many phone calls asking why such and such doesn't work / keeps popping up / keeps forwarding me to microsoft.com / asking for updates / virus alerts etc.
I'm sorry but this is purely user error/lack of knowledge. Nothing to do with it being a PC or Mac.

The modern Macs are IMEO a much better choice for the average home user. By a country mile
Yes they are good, not as good as PCs. Thats my opinion.
Old 11 May 2004, 04:40 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Photoshop LOL I use Photoshop, but my Mum isn't quite at that level. Something simple is needed. Something free is also handy, like iPhoto.

You DO have the choice to use whatever you want, like I said though this is nice and easy for a novice user. Personally I use Raw format importing through Photoshop CS for my photos, and a combination of Final Cut Pro, After Effects / Combustion for video editing.

People who buy machines for simple home use don't want to spend time patching and downloading fixes, most think that a patch is something for an old coat. Security wise, you give me your IP and see what happens, I'm quite happy to give you mine

As for the user error / lack of knowledge, that was the whole point of the post. Not everyone out their is as PC literate as you or I.

Oh and the games thing, who cares? I've got an Xbox, PS2 and a Gamecube, and a big telly. Tell me why I would want to sit infront of a monitor at a desk (like I do all day) when I can sit on a comfy sofa and play the same games.
Old 11 May 2004, 04:43 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mick
Anyway one of the reasons I was thinking of changing was due to having a new FX 5200 graphics card that will not perform the appropriate Nvidia demos...
Changing to Win2k or XP will not change this problem. Its the gfx card which is the problem I'm afraid. Unless of course you havent got the latest drivers installed, ie detonators from nvidia.com and directx9b. Give that a go.

Win2k/XP will perform alot better than ME, they manage the PCs RAM much more efficiently. No more system resource issues. They are also alot more stable. Its worth upgrading for those reaons alone.
Old 11 May 2004, 04:49 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bioforger
Win2k/XP will perform alot better than ME, they manage the PCs RAM much more efficiently. No more system resource issues. They are also alot more stable. Its worth upgrading for those reaons alone.
Aha - we do get quite a lot of 'out of memory' type messages and have to close stuff down to open another window... So I guess it would sort that out at least...

Cheers

Mick
Old 11 May 2004, 04:53 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

People who buy machines for simple home use don't want to spend time patching and downloading fixes, most think that a patch is something for an old coat. Security wise, you give me your IP and see what happens, I'm quite happy to give you mine
Oooooh a challenge eh I'll haXx0r j00r b0xx3n right up j00 n00b!

Oh and the games thing, who cares? I've got an Xbox, PS2 and a Gamecube, and a big telly. Tell me why I would want to sit infront of a monitor at a desk (like I do all day) when I can sit on a comfy sofa and play the same games.
I do Because PC games are way better than on a console thats why. You just cant compare the gfx/texture quality n speed on a fast PC to a console. Pcs are leagues ahead. And u can still hook them up to a big tv from the PC, wirelessly if u like and sit on ya fat *** on the sofa, so thats not a problem either
Old 11 May 2004, 05:01 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Photoshop LOL I use Photoshop, but my Mum isn't quite at that level. Something simple is needed. Something free is also handy, like iPhoto.
There are several free paint / photo manipulating PC programs out ther (for cropping, red-eye removal etc). Work pretty well if you just want basic stuff that's easy to use. It's just not made by Microsoft. If it was, then they'd get accused of having a monopoly of something

I've got an Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS1, Gameboy, Gameboy colour, Gamebou advance, Sega Dreamcast and a few pcs. The games I play on the PC, you just can't get for the consoles, and if you can, they tend to be just cut down, inferior versions. Basically when I get a game, if it's multi-format, I get the best version (which is usually a toss up between the xbox and pc at the moment).

I've got an Alienware laptop now (Pentium 4 3.2Ghz with a 1Gig of ram and a Radeon 9600 gfx card) which will run Far cry, battlefield vietnam etc at full detail / high res with no slowdown etc, so due to the wonders of wireless networking, I can every play them whilst sitting on the sofa wathcing the telly at the same time
Old 11 May 2004, 05:09 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Double post for some reason
Old 11 May 2004, 05:09 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Bio. Lets put this way. I used PC's for 15 years (still do occasionally) then I reluctantly had to start using a Mac. Now, you wouldn't get me back on a PC full time for anything.

I'd be interested to know how much recent experience with Macs you have to be able to categorically pass judgement.

Oh, there are still games out for the Mac, admittedly not many, but the best games do get ported, and yes you can wirelessly send to your telly if you feel so inclined.
Old 11 May 2004, 05:17 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Iain, I know there is software out there that is good, PS Elements being up there. That even came with the camera, but none of them provide the integration and ease of use that the iLife suite does.
Old 11 May 2004, 07:18 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Iain Young
XP Pro is the one to get if you can as it has a lot more features than the home version. Be aware that it does need a bit more memory to run than Xp home or Windows me, (probably 256Mb to run effectively).

Ahem... A lot more features? More memory? Not true.

Buy XP Pro if you want to network to a server, or use remote desktop. Otherwise save your money & buy XP Home.

Differences: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

Spec requirements are the same:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...on/sysreqs.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...on/sysreqs.asp

You will find XP is MUCH more stable than Me. XP does need more RAM & requires 128mb entry level, preferably 256mb or more. More RAM makes it run even better. Look at a P3 600 at least.
Old 11 May 2004, 07:23 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I've got two Macs and a PC. The Mac is my "serious" system - for music/hard disk audio. Using Emagic Logic Pro. This package is not available on PC. It was, but the OS caused so many problems, they ditched it. The PC market now has Cubase (very pretty ) and other inferior packages (IMHO). Tha Mac has them all. Obviously, I AM talking about a niche market though.

My PC is used for the everyday stuff (games, DTP etc). The two NEVER clash, as they share a network with the XBox and all provide music (from various sources) for my entertainment!

Each has it merits. Especially if you use one platform for a particular job. End of Story

Dan

Edited to add - PC is running XP Pro ideal for the network. Mac runs OSX (10.3.3) will UNIX really - Bring back System 7
Old 11 May 2004, 09:40 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Nick - thanks... useful links

I think XP Pro is worth going for for the file encryption features to be able to keep work stuff on home PC - must give some extra security.

Remote access may be useful too.

Are there any problems likely to be encountered with the 'offerings' on ebay?

Ta

Mick
Old 12 May 2004, 12:36 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Also, I may be mistaken, but I don't think XP Home supports ntfs. It's worth it just for that (and the compression / encryption / efficiency features it brings with it).

And despite what Microsoft tells you, XP Pro DOES need more memory to run than XP Home (it's been well documented - do a web search).

Quick Reply: OS Software - change now or wait... ?