Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet radio without PC?

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2004, 01:30 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Internet radio without PC?

I live in foreign climes, and like my little dose of the World Service every now and then for news. Got an expensive Sony short-wave radio, but reception is often very poor due to hillside / weather / edge of Europe and Africa / Act of God / alien spaceships, etc.

Got broadband via cable TV. Never tried it (Luddite) but “young folks tell me” you can listen to the radio via internet. This would be great, but I can’t be bothered to go downstairs and sit in the office in order to listen to the news – I want the latter while eating my brekkie in the kitchen. And it seems dumb to fire up the computer for six minutes of radio and then switch it off again.

Is there any combination of modern technology which would allow me to listen to web radio without booting up the computer, just by hitting one or two buttons as on a radio? I’m thinking along the lines of an I-paq in the kitchen, fed by bluetooth (would this work straight from the cable modem downstairs in the office, or would it still need a working PC to transmit from? I haven’t a clue on these things).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Brendan
Old 10 May 2004, 01:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

This is what you want http://www.reciva.com/ but I don't think they're making them yet. Would need a wireless router.
Old 10 May 2004, 02:21 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the puppy! Thanks Jack. I'll await availability and pricing...
Old 10 May 2004, 02:52 PM
JayBee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
That's the puppy! Thanks Jack. I'll await availability and pricing...
If the PC down stairs has BB and Wireless the www.netgear.com do a Wirless BB reciever that works great. Also similar products form Linksys and Cisco

JB