Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop PSU

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2004, 09:27 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Laptop PSU

Hi people,
I got asked by someone to look at a laptop for them, to which I replied yes. The problem is, the battery is totally dead (so he says) and he has not got the original PSU. I looked at the rating on the bottom, and it says 19v -- 4.74A. I know technically what it means, and my laptop PSU is rated at 20v -- 3A. I tried plugging it in, but no charging light or anything from his laptop. I know my PSU is rated lower, but I expected it still to charge his battery, even if it took longer?? Am I right or talking rubbish? I don't want to tell him to go buy a PSU if the laptop is duff. Thanks for any advice.

Chris.
Old 07 May 2004, 10:01 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

laptop make and model?

rant on...
i blew up an ibm thinkpad x20 today it was my 3 blew up!!! the first one was under warranty, so was sent back to ibm, then i blew it again! the 3rd one warranty expired last month :0
rant off...
Old 07 May 2004, 11:44 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

The ampage refers to the amount of current that can be drawn from the PSU and wont affect charging time. If you try to use more power from a PSU than it is designed to supply one of 2 things will happen, either it will blow a fuse or it will turn itself off, electtronically.

With his laptop turned off and your PSU connected the charging light should illuminate, in this state the laptop will be consuming very little amps so even if your PSU wasn't up to the job it should still function.

I'd hate to state the obvious, but have you tried his PSU in your laptop? a 20v laptop should run with a 19v PSU.

Edited to add I've just reread your post and see he hasn't got the original PSU

And that the ampage rating marked on his laptop will indicate worst case scenario, which wouldn't be when the unit is turned off just charging the battery, if it were alive you should get some sort of indication at this point.

Last edited by zhastaph; 07 May 2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08 May 2004, 11:14 AM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers zhastaph, thought I should get some response from it with the laptop switched off and my PSU plugged into it. No charging light flashing or anything. I think it's buggered.

Many thanks for your help.

Chris.