Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

broadband

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2004, 08:44 PM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broadband

I received a phone call a few weeks of freeserve(wanadoo) offering broadband to excisting members for £19.99 a month unlimited access/download. Great I thought, lets do it gave all my details. A month later nothing!!!!!!!(i've been away) not even a modem. I called them today, they only cancelled it, without my permission not even reason why!! They rang me back and said you can have this offer £17.99 (512kps) and download 2GB a month.

What can you download with 2GB a month?? any examples?? 2,3,4,5 sound tracks or a movie???

cheers Adam
Old 01 May 2004, 08:48 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

A typical song in MP3 format is 4Mb (around 1Mb per minute).
A typical 90 minute movie in MPEG2/WMV format would be around 300Mb to 1Gb dependent on quality.

So, lots of music, but only a couple of movies for your 2Gb.
Old 01 May 2004, 08:52 PM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate for the info, bit of a bum deal then. If i wanted movies.
Can you recommend a decent download site?? Im new too this download music/movie bussiness.
Old 01 May 2004, 09:16 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

IMHO, you'll soon get bored of downloading movies.

Their quality is variable, they often take days to download as thousands are trying to download the same file, and hence the transfer rate is very slow, and at the end of the day, you're better experiencing them in the cinema and/or on DVD.
Old 01 May 2004, 10:16 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Whilst I sort of agree with that, Bit Torrent offers a pretty good download rate and the more people downloading the better.

But if that's what you want to do then you need to go with a "proper" ISP with no restrictions on usage. Zen (http://www.zenadsl.co.uk), Nildram or Eclipse are the top favourite ones.

Steve.
Old 02 May 2004, 01:11 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Blockbuster is cheaper, better quality, legal and faster. Twenty quid will get you 4 films a month in the cinema around here.

And remember...
Old 02 May 2004, 01:14 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
Blockbuster is cheaper, better quality, legal and faster. Twenty quid will get you 4 films a month in the cinema around here.

And remember...
and you only have to wait a year to get them on dvd from blockbuster...... yeah great, bring on the copys

plonka.

jamo

Last edited by Jamo; 02 May 2004 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02 May 2004, 01:19 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Plonka! Would I be a plonka if I reacted to someone stealing the spoiler from the back of your car? There's a serious disconnect between real and online crime, the sooner it's fixed the better for all of us. I'm doing my bit.
Old 02 May 2004, 11:24 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

someone stealing my spoiler to a copied dvd? slight difference id say!

did you know that 65% of all copied dvds available within the uk are "sceeners" these are pre release copies of the same film, exact in every way apart from the case, screeners are sent out by the film companys to critics and the like, so they can make judgements on their work before hand, they always seem to get onto the copied market, but they always seem to still give them out?? why do you think that is?? hmmm i wonder. the powers that be feed the market. so is likely to stop???? NO! I wouldnt buy them if I couldnt, but I do because they are available.

sorry for cqlling you a plonka, it wasnt called for but you are being a little silly I feel.

click here for an example.

Last edited by Jamo; 02 May 2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02 May 2004, 12:13 PM
Corgi
Scooby Regular

JackClark...........you have posted that pirate pic enough now.

j4mou is correct........why do AOL/Time Warner supply feeds (and charge people) from newsgroups, which is where all this stuff gets posted first and quickly filters down into p2p etc.

Why do Sony sell DVD burners......just so you can back up your HD?.....yeah of course.

They want to make money and don't care how they make it
Old 02 May 2004, 12:40 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I'll post the pirate pic as many times as I like. Why should I stop my fight against software piracy? You can chose to ignore it or defend a criminal activity, it's up to you.

I use NNTP for information, I use my CD burner to make discs containing information I either own a license for or have produced. These things weren't invented for criminal purpose, they're just being used that way.

Am I being silly, probably. Will I stop, no.
Old 02 May 2004, 12:48 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Corgi
Why do Sony sell DVD burners......just so you can back up your HD?.....yeah of course.
Bizarre as it may seem, I have mainly used my DVD burner for backups, archiving photos, archiving my cd collection in mp3 format for use on my home music server, and writing home movie DVDs.

I have not burnt any hollywood movies on it, as it looks like too much hassle to be honest!!!
Old 02 May 2004, 01:13 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by boxst
Hello

Whilst I sort of agree with that, Bit Torrent offers a pretty good download rate and the more people downloading the better.

But if that's what you want to do then you need to go with a "proper" ISP with no restrictions on usage. Zen (http://www.zenadsl.co.uk), Nildram or Eclipse are the top favourite ones.

Steve.
Second Vote for Nildram, very good indeed.

Dipster
Old 02 May 2004, 02:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nildram here as well, great, been with them for ages.
Old 02 May 2004, 03:03 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

But copying and copyright can get silly. E.g. the 24hr law for taping thing off the TV and then wiping them. How many people actually do this. You are not even allowed to make a backup copy of any original disk or video, check the copyright notice. You are not allowed to have your mates round to watch the DVD/Videos etc, etc.

Even high court judges will keep copies on video off the TV.
Old 03 May 2004, 09:08 PM
ando
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by JackClark
Plonka! Would I be a plonka if I reacted to someone stealing the spoiler from the back of your car? There's a serious disconnect between real and online crime, the sooner it's fixed the better for all of us. I'm doing my bit.
No, it's like someone making a mould of your spolier and giving copies of your spolier from the goodness of him/her's heart to the local poor (chavs in novas, perhaps?).

So, it'd be like...someone copying something...for people who didn't have it...and giving it them so we all have better cars?
Old 04 May 2004, 08:17 AM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ando
No, it's like someone making a mould of your spolier and giving copies of your spolier from the goodness of him/her's heart to the local poor (chavs in novas, perhaps?).

So, it'd be like...someone copying something...for people who didn't have it...and giving it them so we all have better cars?
Or, like my experience of someone on this board, from Derbyshire. Handing over £40 on the promise of a bunch of advertised DVDs and receiving nothing, not even a reply to e-mails.

Alluding to Robin Hood with spoilers was very apt but more like Robin B4st4rd with spoils.
Old 04 May 2004, 09:05 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

j4mou - talking of theft . . . wheres those games I paid for 3 months ago ?
Old 04 May 2004, 09:15 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

I admit to downloading games, music, movies, software etc, but if what I download is any good - I usually then buy it.

What really pee's me off, is when you buy something at Rip-Off Britian prices, and it's rubbish.

How many albums are crap save for the two songs that were released ? How many films are crap save for the bits you saw in the trailer ? How many games are crap save for the obviously biased reviews ? Or good but can be completed in one evenings gaming ? Or software that does NOT do what it says it does ?

If I could legally 'try before I buy' then all well and good, but until then - I think I'll carry on doing it illegally.

Priacy isn't killing software\artists etc, poor quality is killing software\artists - if it's good, people will buy it.

Matt
Old 04 May 2004, 11:32 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

>If I could legally 'try before I buy' then all well and good, but until then - I think I'll carry on doing it illegally.

It's good news for you, online stores such as apples music store or mycokemusic allow you to sample all tracks, Game will allow you to return a purchace within a certain time, no quibble and a large number of software companys have time limited trials. That's a whole lot of downloading you don't have to do any more.
Old 04 May 2004, 11:40 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Totally aware of all of that, and I can give you a list of software I've bought as a result of the 30-day trial.

Do Game actually give you your money back if you return a game ? I thought it was exchange only, but could be wrong.

Won't be deleting my p2p progs just yet though !

Matt
Old 04 May 2004, 11:43 AM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

i agree 100% with muffleman and his points, however my thoughts are that if the relative industries (music and film) cant sort themselves out then it is their own problem. technology is there to be used, i spend a fortune on the equipment that gets it all to work (PC, DVD, Home Cinema, Stereos), why cant these industry superpowers work out how to licence their products in a way that allow people to use the internet that works for them as well?

selfish greedy people at the helm, who bleat when consumers beat them at their own game!!

i dont feel i am defrauding anyone, i am not making any commercial gain from it, i just watch and listen to what i want when i want and not when the industry thinks i should be doing it.

consumers didnt invent the internet or screeners or video recorders or DVD-R, we just use it in a way that works for us. if you choose not to download a movie then it is up to you. i pay £27.99 per month for internet access instead of to blockbuster video, perhaps they need to get in on the act!!

i will happily download off the internet, if its worth buying i will, i dont sell on anything i have downloaded and i think i still spend a large share of my "disposable" income on music and videos so the industry gets a share of that, they just dont get paid on everything they release.

and to anyone who has downloaded such titles as texas chainsaw 2003, hulk, american pie is it any wonder we dont want to pay £17.99 for them!!

happy downloads
Old 04 May 2004, 12:27 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cactus jim
i dont feel i am defrauding anyone, i am not making any commercial gain from it, i just watch and listen to what i want when i want and not when the industry thinks i should be doing it.
Why would you not shoplift a CD from a music shop? List the reasons.

Last edited by imlach; 04 May 2004 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04 May 2004, 12:33 PM
King RA
BANNED

I buy many cd's, even after I have downloaded them if they are worth it. If albums were £5 and dvds £8 I don't think piracy would be nearly as bad. The companies are greedy and it's this greed which is causing piracy.
Old 04 May 2004, 12:47 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Adam,
Wanadoo give examples of what can be downloaded for 2GB, click the broadband link on the home page.

Allan
Old 04 May 2004, 02:18 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Very clever Imlach (thought provoking).

You would enjoy this.

http://samsara.law.cwru.edu/comp_law...oplifting.html
Old 04 May 2004, 02:22 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Taken from Silicon Valley Magazine

Consider the clever public relations campaign of the content community. They’ve changed the simple language that describes the acts at issue. It used to be called “taping”, “reproducing” or “downloading”, and advocates on both sides would call it “unauthorized reproduction” or “unauthorized taping”. Then somehow this use of technology shifted to the more pejorative and sinister “copying”. The word “copying” sounds bad. It got you in big trouble in high school on a test. “Copying” is a sister to “plagiarism” which is especially bad.

But in the past few months, Hollywood and the music industry have shifted to different words. They now only talk about downloading as “piracy”. They call it “stealing” and always use analogies to shoplifting products out of a store. The Justice Department has adopted this approach. “Stealing is stealing is stealing,” said Malcolm in Aspen. At the same conference, Chernin echoed these themes and used the words “piracy”, “shoplifting” and “stealing” repeatedly to describe downloading. He even declared that those who disagree with his views on copyright are either “amoral or self-interested”.
Old 04 May 2004, 03:15 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Why would you not shoplift a CD from a music shop? List the reasons.
very good question and i suppose the main answer would be becuase i run quite a high chance of getting caught.

what worries me is that i still dont think, aah the poor musicians wont get their cut!
Old 04 May 2004, 03:20 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
Very clever Imlach (thought provoking).

You would enjoy this.

http://samsara.law.cwru.edu/comp_law...oplifting.html
hehe, i like that esp, the comment at the bottom:-

If you get busted, the following telephone numbers will be useful.
Old 04 May 2004, 04:15 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only way online piracy will be stopped is if the internet is shutdown in its entirety, period. Even if it was, (will never happen) theres nothing to stop people hosting their own private networks and sharing files that way. It comes down to a question of your morales really. What does a person consider to be piracy, and if an ISP allows them to dload these items, isnt it the ISP's responsibility to put a stop to it. There is nothing illegal in dloading illegal material. Its only illegal if you decide to keep it. All ISP's could quite easily block P2P, file sharing and even FTP ports, but they choose not to due to certain rights and laws that the consumer holds. Until that day comes people will always tend towards the free route on media downloads. Like most I freely admit to doing this as well, but I always buy material I like or think is worth paying for. I have no sympathy for the recording industry, they are greedy, especially with the rip off pricing in this country.