Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Email address hijacking/abuse

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2004, 06:52 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Email address hijacking/abuse

I have a Freeserve email address and over the last couple of days I have started receiving "Returned Mail; User Unknown" emails that contain long lists of addresses that I have apparently tried to email with spam. The From address in the undelivered emails is my user name but the bit before the @ is just the usual spam gibbereish eg. w992hci@ etc etc.

Using Telnet I have established that I too can send email from any existing freeserve address I like without it being immediately traceable back to me. No password is required. It would seem then that we're I unscrupulous I could email people pretending to be somebody else and, unless they could identify IP addresses out of email headers, they would never know who it was from...?

Now, this maybe old hat in IT land but can this be done from any email server/host/whatever? Surely this is a bit daft? My email address will, I'm sure, eventually become listed as a source of spam and get blocked won't it?
Old 14 April 2004, 07:11 PM
Nog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

SimonH, what you're describing is e-mail "spoofing". Unfortunately, the underlying protocol used to send Internet mail (SMTP - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is inherently insecure (remember it's been around for a long time, and was designed to send simple documents between research groups).

There are things that can be done to get a better idea of whether the sender is genuine, for example, reverse IP lookup (converting the connecting user's IP address to an Internet domain, then checking it matches the mailfrom field), but this feature is generally turned off on ISP mail servers, 'cause it's slow.

There are various extensions to SMTP which provide a lot more security (public key encryption, Etc), but these won't be available on the typical ISP mail server.

And of course, don't forget, that a lot of spam and viruses these days are sent by innocent, unaware Internet users, whose PCs are running lovely little trojan mail engines, some of which are clever enough to be controlled remotely.

The Internet. What a lovely place.

Nog
Old 14 April 2004, 10:03 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nog
SimonH, what you're describing is e-mail "spoofing". ...
I've just started getting them as well - had about 10 in the last couple of days - nothing before that

Don't want to change my email address(es) as it is anything@mysurname.com.

Someone suggested that I only let my mail client (Thunderbird) pick up martin@mysurname.com, wifesname@mysurname.com etc etc - but at the mo, I can just give out any email address I want and it all turns up in Thunderbird.

Very
Martin
Old 14 April 2004, 11:24 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Nog
And of course, don't forget, that a lot of spam and viruses these days are sent by innocent, unaware Internet users, whose PCs are running lovely little trojan mail engines, some of which are clever enough to be controlled remotely.

The Internet. What a lovely place.

Nog
Of course this situation is only going to get worse, as more and more people get broadband and leave their now permanently connected PC to it's own devices 24/7, with no firewall, no anti-virus protection and now, no anti pop-up-parasite software
Old 15 April 2004, 12:04 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I'm up to around 150 a day of 'returned' messages. They're all spoofed from: addresses and none of it is sent from my machines.

A good mail filter is about all you can use, short of dropping the address/domain completely.

Steve
Old 15 April 2004, 03:00 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevem2k
A good mail filter is about all you can use,..
Steve
So assuming that as I get some 'undeliverable reports', the spoofers are actually getting some successful deliveries from my (spoofed) email address...

....am I going to start receiving emails sent to abuse@mysurname.com telling me to stop sending spam emails

..and what do I do then? Just say it wasn't me - it was someone else!