Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DVD drive problem

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2004, 10:32 AM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD drive problem

Help please. On my pc the DVD drives have stopped updating themselves when I put a new disk in the drive. For example if I put a games disk in then try to play the game it then promps me to insert the disk that is already in the drive. If I open upmy computer it shows the disk that was previously in the drive as still being there. How do I get it to re update itself ?

Im sure the answer is simple but its got me stumped. Its running windows xp pro btw.

Thanks

Pete
Old 13 April 2004, 03:13 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not quite sure what you mean by 'updating themselves' The game CD/DVD you are trying to run isnt an original maybe? or failing, (give it a clean) I assume you have tried other discs? When the game disc is in the drive, in my computer, right click on the CD and try and open it, if it doesnt open then the drive simply isnt reading the disc.

If its not anything above, try this, detach the drive from the IDE connector, reboot into XP, shutdown. Reattach the drive, reboot, to get XP to rescan the drive. If that doesnt help and it was working before then you have a problem with the drive possibly.
Old 13 April 2004, 10:12 PM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

Thanks m8, I will give that a go. The disks concerned are legit and brand new, so thats not the reason.
Old 13 April 2004, 10:32 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

PP - I have seen this problem before - but to be honest I can't remember the reason and how it's fixed.. let me scratch around and see if I can remember
Old 17 April 2004, 10:28 AM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
PP - I have seen this problem before - but to be honest I can't remember the reason and how it's fixed.. let me scratch around and see if I can remember

you had no luck remembering then m8 ?