Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help me help my neighbour...

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2004, 08:32 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me help my neighbour...

..as above, they have copped for a premium rate dialer via an NTL dial up connection, the bill for march was £250 quid

I have tried Adaware & spybot, they found a few things so I deleted them.

Ran NAV 2002 - keept finding a virus infected file caled "editpad.exe" and "winrar.exe" ( though he hasn't got winrar installed ). NAV would not delete/repair them because they "are in use", F8 had stopped working so I couldn't boot into safe to delete them

I have used task manager to stop processes until the files in question could be deleted. I left the machine last night after a reboot and neither of the above apps were in winnt/system. (W2K puter BTW ).

From their phone bill, the dialler is an 090.. number, this appeared on the itemised bill very early in the month,would it be fair to say this dialler came via a webpage or a virus/email? The normal user of the PC is a bit green to be honest.

..in any case, any advice?

TIA,

Mike.
Old 05 April 2004, 08:54 PM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

press windows+r then type msconfig

have a look in there especially the startup tab and see if anything suspicious is getting loaded...
Old 05 April 2004, 09:43 PM
scooby24
Scooby Regular

go to google and search for "panda activescan" go to the site and follow through with the scan. its more powerful that norton crap and will even delete any virus's found.
its just a small download then you can disconnect while it scans
..phil..
Old 05 April 2004, 09:49 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

You really need to stop the root cause of the dialer and msconfig won't. The only way to stop it so it never comes back is with Regedit and then a ful ltime virus scanner.

1. Enter Regedit (start\run\regedit) and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURR ENTVERSION\RUN

This is where all the Windows programs are displayed. Look in this list for any odd files.

NB You can look at each entry in turn by Right Clicking and selecting Modify. Select cancel once you have checked the file.

As soon as you find editpad.exe and winrar.exe right click on them and select delete.

After this is done, update Norton and do a FULL virus scan. Or do an online test over at Trend Micro

Darren
Old 05 April 2004, 10:12 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

They don't have Sky plugged in to the phone line as well do they? - just a thought if you don't uncover anything else, there's been a few problems with Sky boxes dialling up.
Old 06 April 2004, 12:29 PM
King RA
BANNED

had the same thing with a friend, run spybot because it can add registry keys to prevent these things from infecting your computer in the 1st place. Tell him to unplug them modem when finished with the computer, just in case
Old 06 April 2004, 06:20 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

cheers people..

kev, how/why would the sky box dial a premium number?