Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Serious Probs with XP

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2004, 07:28 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Probs with XP

I have this evening had a lock up which meant a reset (was connected to the Net with a cd playing in my dvd drive). Anyway once the p.c came back on having gone through scandisk I find I no longer have my 2 drives listed in the explorer window. These are a DVD Rom and a DVD rewriter. I go into suystem properties and both drives are listed but have an exclamation mark next to them !! It states driver has either been lost or corupt. So Iuninstall them and reboot the p.c. It boots up no problem and finds the hardware but once its finished installing the drivers it still has the same exclamation mark etc. My thinking is therefore that I will pop the XP disk in the drive and install the drivers off the disc but it doesn't see the disc cos the drive aint recognised by Windows !! I have Windows 2000 also and that boots no problem and sees both drives and I can use them with this o.s system. Any ideas what I can do with XP to sort out the problem.....oh yea and system restore was turned off a few weeks ago cos of a rather nasty virus so I can't run this

Any gurus out there with some ideas.... ?
Old 11 March 2004, 07:36 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

common prob matey.. run add new hardware wizard, select already connected, scroll down the list & select the 2 devices

Old 11 March 2004, 07:37 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

if that dos'nt work, just delete both devices from the device manager & re boot, they will then be auto detected