Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Advice ref: Type of PC joystick

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2004, 10:34 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Advice ref: Type of PC joystick

The lad & me have decided that it is time to invest in a joystick for the PC (for flight sim games) now that it is running properly. Thing is I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one, any advice?
Old 05 March 2004, 11:09 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

As joysticks go, especially for Flight sims, go for the Microsoft ones, not cheap but well made and very suited to Microsoft's own Flight Sim.

When it comes to other games though - buy a controller that lets you plug in a Dual Shock from a PS2 - its utter bliss compared to the usual tat on sale.
Old 05 March 2004, 08:54 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by messiah
As joysticks go, especially for Flight sims, go for the Microsoft ones, not cheap but well made and very suited to Microsoft's own Flight Sim.

When it comes to other games though - buy a controller that lets you plug in a Dual Shock from a PS2 - its utter bliss compared to the usual tat on sale.
I'd totally agree. I have a Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback pro. Quite an old joystick now (it's not the USB version) , but it is very very good. Saitek look ok and are a bit cheaper in comparison.

[edited to add] PC Zone (respected games mag, by me anyway) have Saitek Cyborg Evo (£26) as editor's choice, and Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold (£23) as recommended.

I have also bought a USB<->PS2 adapter from www.play.com for just £6.99 inc vat and postage, which is just fantastic for most non-flight sim games. In fact the Sidewinder is now gathering dust as it's so much easier to plug in a Playstation Controller (and let's face it, the PS2 analogue controller is THE pinnacle of games controllers IMHO anyway).

Cheers
Joolz

Last edited by jbryant; 05 March 2004 at 09:00 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06 March 2004, 01:14 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

So either a microsoft or a Dual-shock adapter.

If I go the microsoft route, do I go USB or Com port?
Old 06 March 2004, 02:49 PM
DSOTM
Scooby Regular

Cool Saitek for me

Took quite a bit of sorting out for me being a cack hander, but the Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold is what I use. The new one looks very tasty indeed.

The software for it isn't bad, and Saitek customer service is excellent.
I got over excited and sheared the trigger off, contacted Saitek UK and a new one arrived in the post the day after, free of charge

Given it some right old hammer (play UT with it + mouse) and have had it for over 2 years now. Still going strong.

Can't comment on any others as the only ones to look after lefties like me are the really horrid ones.

All the decent MS ones are very much right handers only
Old 06 March 2004, 04:36 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that detail DSOTM, I'm a child of the Devil meself and hadn't actually thought about that detail.