Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

what do you think and why?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2004, 11:35 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been sent this from my friend at uni.

Company Located in a Four Story building measuring 200 * 200 metres with 24 staff on each floor.

Have to redesign network as currently all stand alone pc's and must then connect lan to internet using ISP.

cOMMAPNY WANT TO USE A WIRELESS NETWORK FOR LAN.

aSSUMING EVERYTRHING MUST BE REPURCHASED UP GRADED SERVERROOM PRINTERS
WEBSERVERS, and then must allocate IP adress to devices on each floor. Class C

What are your thoughts: with the back bone whats the difference between fibre optic and gigabit ethernet do you know whats best
What would you recommend for each and why? I have an idea on what I am going to suggest but want to know what you lot think.
Old 09 January 2004, 01:53 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't fully understand on what you are looking for, this would require a full assertation of the building and a report building.

Briefly:

I for one would not use WLAN due to security implications, plus I prefer working with cables as a layer 1 device as they are physical (perhaps just my preference)

Some form of traffic control is a must. Whether routers or switches depends on the layout of the network and what they are tyying to achive. There is no spec to say how the network should run.

Security......go heavy!!! (not gonna go into all that, I'll bore you to tears.....hehe)

As for the last question, there is no real difference apart from Fibre is more expensive, but also more secure in terms of tapping etc.

Please note, although I do have my CCNA, I work in computer security....I do not design networks, I just find weakness' in them. I'm sure an instalation guru can provide more input than I can.