Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Another linux question, sort of :D

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2004, 12:42 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks

Main server now running Suse, got http server up and running, firewall all configured, and have set up home network which is where problems have occurred.

LAN is running samba all 3 other pc's (2 wired 1 wireless) can see the linux server and access files on it, only problem is xbox

tried the following configs in the xbox config.xml file

smb://usernameassword@linux/my_music
smb://@linux/my_music
smb://linux/my_music

the middle one works on a winxp pc, and i just can't think of owt else

Cheers
Si
Old 09 January 2004, 04:58 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

wow, congrats on getting all that up and running with your first few days working with Linux.
Not sure about an Xbox as I have never worked with one running correct software.
You may have to fine tune it via the smb.conf file.
Once done, you can run testparm to check it all.

Anyway, heres a cool little exercise to check the security of your new Linux box.....also worth running against your Windows boxen to show how insecure they are.

Install the nessus server on your Linux machine (it comes on the CD). Configure it and grab the latest plugins.
Now download the nessus client on another machine (Linux or Windows, it doesn't matter).

What this does is attack your network from the point of an attacker. It grabs all the possible hacks from the server.
You only need 1 server and 1 client and you can attack any machine on your network, not just the one that the client is sitting on.

You can move the software in different places, like outside your internet gateway (hook up to the outside of the router) to simulate hundereds of hacks comming from the internet.

If something is exploited, it tells you what it was, how it was exploited, and how to fix it. It really is great fun......(you can also learn how hacks work......e.g. if you read the plugin code, it will show you how the hacks are done. The easiest ones to start with are setting up a webserver and seeing if it is vunerable to unicode. If you can learn a bit about unicode and regex's etc, you will see one way webservers are exploited.)

Here are 2 links on setting up and running nessus

part 1
part 2
Old 09 January 2004, 05:40 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Almost certainly permissions on the limux box I would havbe thought.

Can you share something on Windows PC (pref 2K or XP) and access that to confirm the XBMP format. When I get home I'll post the snippet from my config.xml - that was to a Win2K server but syntax should be commmon for all SMB shares.

Deano
Old 09 January 2004, 05:56 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Gedi

Will have a play with that a little later

Deano

I've searched net hi and low and all i can find regarding linux and xbox shares are all xns type, permissions appear okay, strange thing is that the Samba workgroup doesn't show on linux machine until i boot one of the winxp machines (but then i suppose why would it as samba is a win thing)

Cheers all
Si
Old 10 January 2004, 01:54 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

All sorted now although not with Xbox media player, grabbed latest build of Xbox Media Centre and it seems to address smb differently to player, anyways off to bed now as work in 5 hours lol

Will test security across board tommorrow for tonight all is tighter than a gnats chuff aka it's switched off

Cheers
Si