Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can the Xbox (On Live) be Hacked

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2004, 03:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have my Xbox plugged into my router (Dlink 540), just plugged in and off it went, no problem, the pc has Zone Alarm etc and I am not all that concerened about it but was wondering if I leave my Xbox on can they be hacked in the same way as a PC, I know they dont run windows which gets rid of most of the opportunities but I fell fairly certain that somebody somewhere will want to spoil the fun.
Old 04 January 2004, 03:39 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By default a NAT router blocks unsolicited incoming traffic.
Old 04 January 2004, 07:25 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

That wasn't the question.

Anything can be hacked. Its impossible to say from the information you have given as to how vunerable your box is. Its all down to whats on the box.

I don't know much about what is running on actual xbox's as when I bought one, it was to experient with the xbox Linux project. I do however think it would be very difficult as I doubt they will run any services.......also, there is not much use for them. Regular home machines are mainly used for 2 reasons....
....zombies for DoS attacks
....proxies for bouncing the connection through.
Due to the xboxes architecture, it is not very usefull for this. Although it uses the base windows operating system, I have still not heard of anyone writing software to run on them in this manner.

Thats not to say its not been done though !!!

Don't be fouled by NAT, its not difficult to bypass.
Old 04 January 2004, 11:30 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Gedi I was only trying to reassure J4CKO that it was unlikely. I know how secure NAT is, is not.

I'm actually surprised Live has not been hacked yet that we know of. I reckon any hacker who could hack Xbox Live would be telling the world and their uncle if they had, 'and' it would have done by now anyway, after all it’s hardly new and MS is 'the' prime target.

I was expecting to hear news of Live being down as some hackers found a way to do a DoS attack on it. Maybe they're using an OS with 'real' security features for their Live servers, i.e. not one of thier own.
Old 05 January 2004, 01:08 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

With regards to Xbox Live, I have no idea if its been compromised. DoS attacks from skript kiddies would be simple and would most deffinitely shut the service down. Its not the servers that are at fault, but a flaw in the underlying architecture of IP.

It wouldn't supprise me if Micro$ofts Live boxen were running Linux anyway. I know Microsoft were running Linux recently on their web servers becuase their own product wasn't secure enough.
Great advertising there......lmao.
I'm just sitting back watching the start of Microsofts monopoly crumble under them, making way for open source as a viable option for all users.

As for if an actual base Xbox have been compromised remotely, I have no idea. We all know they have been compromised many times localy. It was one of the original ways hackers got Linux to run, by exploiting flaws in the games software. (was the original one James Bond???)
That could be a little project for this weekend. Although it means trying to get my Xbox back off my brother, removing Linux and rebuilding the dashboard.
Old 05 January 2004, 04:03 PM
King RA
BANNED

Microsoft use Windows 2003 on their web servers.
Old 05 January 2004, 05:24 PM
frankthetank
Scooby Regular

hot off the press
new xbox bios has a hack to get around the live factor
go to xboxscene
or digitalforums
and have a butchers

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2004, 07:53 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

King RA, they have only recently gone back http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/61/34448.html.
I belive its not uncommon for M$ to switch to a real OS when major flaws are released with their own stuff.

frankthetank, are you quoting the 4980 bios?? That is a local exploit dissabling connection to the Live servers. Not actually related to remote exploits. Albeit interesting though http://www.teamxecuter.com
Old 05 January 2004, 10:38 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

They will use dual redundancy anyhow so I doubt Live will be in mucho danger tbo