Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBox live - X Box ****e more like.....

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2004, 12:16 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

So far I would say most definitely not.

Colin MCrae Rally 04 - vaguely interesting for a day - too easy (won all 6 races without trying) and you can only post times on the internet via Live - WTF! XBox Live is plastered all over the box but it only says in very small print there's no racing online. Great. Such a shame as the 4 player action is excellent and kept us entertained at Christmas (beats talking to the hapless relatives!) and would be great online.

Unreal Championship - ****e, what can I say

Crimson Skies - fun for a day or two with lots of entertaining Americans on it, but quickly becomes very samey

Star Wars - KOTR - not a bad game, quite addictive once you get into it but online? updates only (eh? why would you when you've done it?)

Anyone played any online games with staying power yet?

Oh, and informally for those interested (though not Live related):

Metal Gear Solid 2 - masquerades as a game but is a load of boring video sequences which hand hold you through the plot. yawn yawn.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 - excellent but again too easy (no difficulty modes which is a shame) - done half a season but am now bored with winning tournaments 60+ under par. Two player is still fun (would be great from online, if only....)#

Edited to say that my favourite game of all time remains Vice City on PS2 - will be a tempter to buy the XBox version when it comes out.....just hope it's different enough

[Edited by Gordo - 1/4/2004 12:18:47 AM]
Old 04 January 2004, 06:39 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Ghost Recon
PGR2
Counterstrike

Still playing these

as for CM04 ... Live ..... I don't class it as online just cause of a crappy scorboard you have to upload.
Old 04 January 2004, 07:43 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I have GTA VC/Double pack for both (Game broke street date on VC Xbox edition on the 26/12) and id say if you have it for PS2 dont bother getting the xbox version as there are very few additions. Yes the graphics are cooler and the ability to listen to your own cds is good, but in essence, thats all thats new.

Save your money I say
Old 04 January 2004, 12:25 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Gordo - I dont mean to be rude but you really should try and read some magazine or online reviews of games before shelling out your hard earned cash.

As you have already found out just having the xbox live logo on the box is no guarantee of worthwhile online content with some titles just cashing in and offering token features.

But there are some truly excellent 'real' online titles out there well worth the cost:

PGR2 as a package is the best racing game you'll find on any platform.

Similarly Rainbow Six is a first class shooter (offline and online).

For a laugh Midtown Madness 3 is top fun online.

Rich

Old 04 January 2004, 04:16 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Richard - it's not the cash (McRae was bought for me as a present - I was looking forward to the online bit and was very pi55ed off when I found out how bad it was)

Mid Town Madness - rented it and thought it was ****e.

I'm amazed that XBox live isn't better - I was playing PC games online 2 years ago FFS - surely the latest stuff should be at least as good!

Having played numerous games on the XBox and having been (largely) disappointed, I must admit that it bemuses me why people would bother chipping the thing.....
Old 04 January 2004, 04:47 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Gordo -

I too have been playing PC online games for many years (Quake half-life, CS etc).

I think things have moved on significantly, what has plagued the PC scene recently is cheating (and cheating paranoid peeps), with all sorts of hacks etc. ruining many games. I have stopped playing online with the PC for most of my favourite games due to this.

Also, even with ISDN and more recently ADSL pings are inconsistent, with lag being a problem on all but good UK servers.

My experience with XBlive has been superb, no lag, no cheating (At least I can't tell if its going on ).

Whats really impressive is its a truly worldwide online experience.

Playing capture the gold on MM3 in Paris with minis (ala italian job) with a couple of Yanks, a bloke from Asia and a couple of Brits all speaking English (and winding each other up) through the headset is a unique experience you wont find on a PC.

Did you play MM3 online - I agree it sucks as single player but the online modes are great.

Also PGR2 shows what can be done with the online system, instant world rankings on the single player with downloadable ghosts from other players. Great multiplayer modes too with lag free (so far for me anyway) racing.

Give PGR2 a go - you wont be disapointed.

Old 04 January 2004, 09:50 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

You obviously haven't played PGR2 or RS3.

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2004, 10:35 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

I'm hooked on Top Spin Tennis, best sport game I have played for a long time. Can't seem to break the top 1000 in the world though!
Old 05 January 2004, 12:11 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - will give MMR3 a go online and PGR2 (will please the other half no end!)

cheers

Gordo