Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IP addresses???

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2003, 02:43 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What info can be gained from knowing the IP address of a computer?

And where/how do you find this information?

Cheers guys

Boro
Old 30 December 2003, 02:49 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

You can find out your ISP and country and that's about it really.

Have a play here: http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp

Steve.

Old 30 December 2003, 02:54 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Can damage be done by sum1 knowing it?
Old 30 December 2003, 02:58 PM
ChrisB

Once you know the IP, you can port scan a computer looking for any security holes that might let somebody attack your PC in someway. Think of it as a theif checking all the windows on your house are locked. An attack might just disrupt and annoy you or it could be more sinister...
Old 30 December 2003, 03:00 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Old 30 December 2003, 03:00 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Yes, plus what Chris said.

I would always recommend having a firewall running. A really good free one is ZoneAlarm.

Steve.
Old 30 December 2003, 03:11 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Let us know your IP....I'm sure someone can show you

Trending Topics

Old 30 December 2003, 03:57 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

192.384.48.348 :P go for it
Old 30 December 2003, 04:12 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

If that is your ip address then I suggest you check it out, it does not conform to the standards
Old 31 December 2003, 01:00 AM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

Mine is 127.0.0.1 - hack away.

Sorry, geek joke.

To give you a motoring analogy it might tell someone where your car is parked but it won't let them drive it away. Not a huge problem considering hundreds of people drive past your house and see it daily anyway.
Old 31 December 2003, 02:12 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

When you log onto a BBS you give out a IP Address - I am on call-up, I assume the IP address changes each time I call up and visit a BBS? Is that right? Or could the BBS operators monitor a 'range' you are always supplied with?

Pete
Old 31 December 2003, 02:57 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Once you know the IP, you can port scan a computer looking for any security holes that might let somebody attack your PC in someway. Think of it as a theif checking all the windows on your house are locked. An attack might just disrupt and annoy you or it could be more sinister...
This is why it's really important to have a good firewall, hardware ones are best, some ADSL modems have them integrated, but if not get a software one, personally I think blackice defender is the best, but others use zone alarm, and nortan etc. If you have none of these but are running xp, you can use the XP firewall by right clicking properties of your internet connection, I believe it's on the advance tab, but I have never used it.

When you get one of these you'll have the fright of your life when you see how many people are scanning your system every minute. Most of them are harmless, but ya never know.

To be honest script kiddies with the kind of skills to get into someones system probably aren't going to waste their time with your personal computer. They're more likely messing around with the NASA website or something

To get all the info on your system, go to start>run> then type in cmd to get up the dos command prompt window.

Then type in ipconfig/all and this will tell you all your system information.

When you go on one of these website like the link above, that shows the IP address that has been assigned to your computer by your ISP when you go online. If you're using dial up, it's likely they'll assign you a different one everytime you dial in. If you're using broadband it maywell be static, mine is with blueyonder.

As long as you have adequate virus, and firewall protection there isn't too much to worry about. I haven't had any security problems for over a year (knock on wood). You can use proxy servers to mask your real IP and there are even masking programs etc if you want to hide it, but unless you're up to no good, then I wouldn't really see a need for it!
Old 31 December 2003, 03:47 AM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

"When you log onto a BBS you give out a IP Address - I am on call-up, I assume the IP address changes each time I call up and visit a BBS? Is that right? Or could the BBS operators monitor a 'range' you are always supplied with?"

It doesn't automatically change but yes, the odds of you getting the same one twice from the range are low. I'm not sure what the ratios are but its enough. That said, they'll always know what ISP is in charge of the address pool from which yours has come. As your connection to the ISP is logged by the ISP, making that tie-up is only a case of asking the ISP for assistance.
Old 31 December 2003, 03:57 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

well there is nothing wrong with your IP address being logged on a BBS as long as the BBS ownwers are trustworthy types. Even then there isn't much they can do.

However, if example you were doing something ilegal or harrasing someone etc etc, they can contact your ISP who will log who was assigned that IP address at the time you did that. Then they can trace you through your telephone number or if you're registered with them, they already have your details. This is all covered by the data protection act though, so the only thing a BBS or website could do is lodge a complaint to your isp, and then your isp will do something from there depending on the severity of what you've done wrong. The only way they can really do anything is to get the police involved, so you'd of had to do something quite ilegal for any of this to happen. Remember there are millions of internet users, and ISP's are flooded with inquiries on a daily basis.

But I can't imagine this will be a scenario any of you need worry about, as I am sure you're all good law abiding folk.

There are proxy servers you can use though which will give you a static ip address and also make you less easy to trace from unwanted attention. Very few people have the skills to be able to trace you through your IP address though.