Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Coldfusion & MySql as basis for local sales & manuf system ?

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2003, 03:03 PM
Lisan Obelisk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone think a ColdFusion / MySQL based system would work well when put into a local business (eg. non-internet)?

I suppose it would be an intranet and would handle sales / invoicing / stock control.

Seems to make sense to me - clients would simply need a web browser. Branch office connections could be handled via a broadband & VPN

Anyone done it ?
Old 19 December 2003, 04:30 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

We use cold fusion and SQL2000 for bespoke intranet/extranet/internet developments.
The only problem is the small number of Cold Fusion developers compared with other technologies. Might be OK now but in the future when original developers leave or the maintenance contract expires you end up tying yourself into a less common technology.
We need to recruit one now and it is proving difficult.
Nothing wrong with CF though, it is very good.

If you need CF hosting for a site drop me a line...
Old 19 December 2003, 04:30 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I think licensing will be quite a bit more than your usual asp/php/access/mysql driven site. Not sure though...
Old 19 December 2003, 04:55 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

lisan,

I would look at your design goals as regards to application functionality rather than choosing a technology. Personally I think browser based apps are very limiting because the UI widgets are pretty basic (grids in particular). That said using javascript and dhtml improves things but if your users need to input lots of invoices using a web app that would be pretty limiting. I know emerging technologies such as flash mx now have proper widgets which run across the net although cant say I have seen anything useful.

My limited knowledge of CF is that it improves on basic HTML but not by a great degree, mysql would certainly cope. Personally I still opt for 'web-lications' a traditional win32 application which runs across IP, you get easy deployment (single .exe) and a rich UI, but you may need x-platform so again need to make decisions!

good luck

Gary
Old 19 December 2003, 05:33 PM
Lisan Obelisk
Scooby Regular

Thanks fellas - all good points.

Rich, whats the implicaitons for a 20 user system as far as CF licensing goes ?

As for the limited UI - I've used CF for a while now and I can't see what it offers being limiting for our requirements.

Might play around with a protoype and see what transpires.