Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Canon Ixus screen problem

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2003, 08:36 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently bought my parents a Canon Ixus II for Xmas and its been sat here for a while waiting ro be wrapped.

Decided last night I really should check it out, make sure all is well.

Everything is fine, except one annoying thing - 1 of the pixels at the top of the LCD screen glows white for some reason, and looks as though it is damaged - it really is just 1 pixel though.

I bought it from buyacamera.co.uk and to return it means spending my own money on insured packaging, and then of course no guarantee that it will come back before Xmas.

Anyone know if this will be a screen error, or will an OS update cure it?
Old 15 December 2003, 09:18 PM
krazy
Scooby Regular

usually known as a hot pixel by the digi camera folk i believe..
Have u tried taking a pic and viewing it on you pc yet? will tell u if the fault is on the sensor or just the screen.
I *think* they usually go back 2 the manu repair centre to be fixed, (thou i believe it is a software fix usually) unlikely b4 christmas thou. i'd return/exchange it if u can..
Old 15 December 2003, 10:28 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

A dead pixel on the LCD is a very common fault. It doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the image sensor, or that there'll be anything wrong with the pictures you get from the camera.

Although it most definitely is a fault, most manufacturers won't replace it - some will even (laughably) try and tell you it's not faulty at all. This is an economic decision on their part - it only takes a very smalll defect on the LCD to cause a stuck pixel, and LCD manufacturers simply can't sell guaranteed 100% perfect displays economically. There are simply too many slightly defective displays that would otherwise have to be paid for but thrown away.

Manufacturers' specs for LCDs usually allow a couple of pixels stuck on - you could complain, but I think you'll just have to live with it I'm afraid
Old 16 December 2003, 11:35 AM
lightning
Scooby Regular

Andy is right. Manufacturers will not warranty pixel defect free lcd displays. IBM said to me that they would not replace my laptop screen unless it had a minimum of 6 malfunctioning pixels! It had 2 dead pixels straight out of the box on a 1024 by 768 display!

However it may be worth getting in touch with the vendor and finding out what they are prepared to do.
Old 16 December 2003, 11:38 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Vendor is cool and has said they will swap it - just waiting for them to confirm I can go over in person as its only 30 miles away - cheaper and safer than paying £10 for Parcelfarce