Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop modem question

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2003, 04:16 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm trying to set the 'Don't wait for dial tone' box in the properties tab for the modem on my laptop but it's greyed out - any ideas why?

Cheers
Kav
Old 15 December 2003, 04:42 PM
lightning
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mark,

I know laptop modems reasonalby well after having a problem with mine recently. For starters I will assume that have window XP. If the "Don't Wait Dial Tone" option is greyed out there is a way of getting the modem to dial without waiting. In modem properties select Advanced and in the Extra Settings box type "X3" (minus ""). This is the AT command to dial without waiting for a dial tone.

Unfortunately if you have a "Software Modem" in your laptop this may not work. I recently had this problem on my Toshiba laptop where I could not connect to the internet at my new address. When using a normal phone on the cable I could hear a dial tone. However when I connected the cable to the laptop it wouldn't work. After days of fault finding (including numerous web searches, physically removing the modem and replacing, uninstalling drivers and a call to Toshiba) I walked over to Homebase and bought a properly shielded 5m modem cable. I replaced the exising cable and the modem dialed straight away. The fault was the bloody cable I had in combination with an ordinary BT connection.
Old 15 December 2003, 05:08 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks mate - I'll give it a go. I'm running W2K, BTW.

I do have software modem on the laptop and for some reason, it will not connect to my ISP. Oddly enough, it hooks up fine with the corporate provider we have. I want to use call diversion when I work from home so home calls go to the mobile. Of course, once you set call diversion on the home phone, you get an intermittent dial tone which sends the modem into a flat spin.

Cheers
Kav
Old 15 December 2003, 05:17 PM
lightning
Scooby Regular

Talking

Call diversion, BT1571, call waiting etc. will all cause problems. Remember that the simplest solution to a problem is normally the correct one.