Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ebay / Paypal emails ???????

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2003, 03:57 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I keep getting emails supposingly from Paypal and Ebay saying my account is due to expire, i click on the links but they want me to enter passwords/ credit card details which i'm reluctant to do as there's no padlock at the bottom of the page.
Surely if my accounts are expiring them it would let me know when i go to the site and log in?
has anyone else had these emails? is it a scam?

cheers
Old 14 December 2003, 04:04 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

All variations on the MiMail virus. Delete!

Old 14 December 2003, 06:19 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

yep keep getting the ones about updating user details, looks very authentic but then asks you to enter user id and password, very suspect as *all* online services always say we will never ask for this information. The people sending this $hit should be shot!
Old 14 December 2003, 06:44 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

i was a bit wary as the sites weren't secure (paddlock at bottom of page) when they wanted me to send credit card details

wonder how many people have sent their details to have their bank account emptied
Old 14 December 2003, 09:52 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Always check the site when in doubt, there are normally posts about scams, paypal get targeted all the time..
Old 14 December 2003, 10:00 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Psypal sent out warning emails about these scams recently:

As you may know, fraudulent PayPal look-alike emails are being circulated to our customers and requesting personal information.

These fraudulent emails address PayPal customers with the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member," and are NOT sent by PayPal.

The PayPal website and systems are secure against this threat, but it is important that you protect your PayPal account in the following ways:

1. Never give out the following information in response to an email:

PayPal password

Credit card, bank account or PIN number

National Insurance or Driving Licence number

2. Do not download attachments, software updates, or any application to your computer via a link you received in an email. PayPal will not ask you to download anything for your account to work

3. Choose a unique password and change it every 30-60 days

If you are ever uncertain about the validity of an email or application, go to the PayPal website at https://www.paypal.com/uk/ or https://www.paypal.co.uk/ to check it out.

If you think you have received a fraudulent email, please forward the entire email to spoof@paypal.com and then delete it.

Yours sincerely,

The PayPal Team
Old 15 December 2003, 09:51 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Robby if you use a decent online email service such as Hotmail or Lycos, you will find that these messages will a)not reach your inbox in the first place or b) Will have had the nastey virus attachment removed and a link to the probable virus included in the header.

Don't ever believe anything like this.

Chris