Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

X-Box network sharing question (PC)?

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2003, 06:17 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello folks,

Sorted out sound in the end, sounds peachy now, just annoying everyone within a mile radius. Having more confussion with networking.

Broadband

OK I have (blueyonder) cable modem (motorola surfboard sb4100), have registered mac address of x-box with ISP, goes online fine, and it's just peachy on gotham 2, really nippy and very impressive.

Sharing problemo

When I then unplug ethernet cable from x to pc (a big pain in itself fiddling around constantly), the cable modem gets all confussed. And I don't get any access to the internet (on both x and pc when swapped from one to another). I have to unplug the modem, leave it for 30 secs or so, then repower it and wait for it to reset itself for a minute or two, shut down x or pc, then once modem resets - restart x or pc - then it works ok.

A REAL DRAG!

Possible solution?

Obviously sharing is the answer, but I have no cashola this festive month to be shelling out on network gear, and eventually I want to go wireless, so waste of cash to get anything before I can afford that.

Then it dawned on me, my home built pc has ASUS motherboard (A7N8X deluxe), has a dual lan set up integrated (3com & Nvidia) for network sharing. At the moment, my cable modem goes into the 3com, and the nvidia is disabled in bios.

Could it really be that simple that I can just go out and buy another ethernet cable for £10 (or however much) and have them working together, I have a suspicion it's only pc to pc via neighbourhood network? Has anyone else got this board or know about it, obviously the users manual doesn't say anything about x-box's, but in theory it should work right??

Any help much appreciated...

Cheers

Nick
Old 13 December 2003, 11:09 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
It'll work, enable Internet connection sharing on your PC.
Old 13 December 2003, 02:42 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Could it really be that simple that I can just go out and buy another ethernet cable for £10 (or however much) and have them working together
If you want to pop over to Sutton i'll make you a cable straight through or X-Over to whatever length you want?
Old 13 December 2003, 05:04 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Argh Ian, now you tell me, just been into Kingston and bought a patch cable from Maplin.. Argh!

Well it's not working anyway..

OK, bought RJ45 patch lead from Maplin (£4.99 for 2 metres - not bad).

Installed drivers for secondary network card, installed and functioning according to xp - apart from being unplugged of course.

Shut down pc and modem, powerwed up both and enabled internet sharing on the network card which has direct internet connection with modem. That is still work just fine can access web / email no problemo..

Shut everything down again, connected patch cable from pc to xbox, rebooted pc then xbox, and both devices say unplugged!?

Treid reinstalling network card, repeating process above, and restarting things, and it's just not playing ball! :-(

Any suggestions?

Edit: Note to self: NEVER build your own pc again, it's been nowt but bother!

[Edited by mynickers - 12/13/2003 5:06:50 PM]
Old 13 December 2003, 05:06 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Question

Are you gettnig the 'link' light on?

IIRC to connect a PC -> X-Box directly you need a crossover cable.
Old 13 December 2003, 05:10 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Are you gettnig the 'link' light on?
Do you mean right next to the socket on the back of pc where the cable plugs in? No, there are no lights on there. But obviously there are on the incoming NIC socket, which has constand orange, and flickering green light.

IIRC to connect a PC -> X-Box directly you need a crossover cable
Are you telling me I bought the wrong frigging cable?? Is a patch cable not the same as a cross over cable? Muppets in Maplings told me that was a cross over cable! (Never done any netwoking before in my life, understand the concept, but that's about all).

[Edited by mynickers - 12/13/2003 5:11:45 PM]
Old 13 December 2003, 05:11 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

A patch cable is normally wired straight through, a x-over cable has 2 pairs of wires crossed.

Trending Topics

Old 13 December 2003, 05:13 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

So basically I have bought the wrong cable???

I wish I had read your thing before I left, not too far over to Sutton, and kingston a few weeks before christmas on a saturday is not much fun at all...
Old 13 December 2003, 05:19 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I'm just off out for the evening now, but if you want me to knock you up a cable, tell me how long you want it and I will make you a X-Over one tomorrow when I get home.
Old 13 December 2003, 05:25 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Me too mate, running late as it is..

Will email you 2moro - cheers mate, and have a great evening..

Nick
Old 16 December 2003, 07:14 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Was the wrong cable, they all say patch in Mupetlins, it's the barcode which says whether its'a cross over.

Anyway, got one now, crossed over, xbox recognises there is a cable connected but cannot resolve dns and ip problems, tried all the trouble shooting, and imputing details manually but it's not hving it.