Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBOX - Sound question!?

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2003, 03:08 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

Just recently bought an x-box (as sone of you might already of read in previous posts), and have to admit it's probably the best prodcut microsoft has ever made, why can't they make windows that way lol.

Anyway, was kind of disapointed that during the ad campaigns singing all the multitude of things you can do with it, they didn't mention that gaming online, watching dvd's and all manor of other benefits of an xbox costs extra, which I have forked out on - profitering goats.

Anyway, back to the point:

I have a creative (analogue) 5.1 surround system rigged upto my PC right next to telly and xbox, however, the xbox to my dissapointment doesn't have any audio imputs. The creative sysmte is the one where all the satelite speakers plug into the bass, not on a seperate amp, and as I mentioned its analog not digital.

I doubt there is anything that supports 5.1 on xbox, but could I not take the bass bin, and two satlite speakers (left and right) and plug them in. And to do this what do I need?

Is there aftermarket attachments you can get to split the scart with audio or something. I know there are creative 2.1 systems you can buy espectially to work on x-box for about £40, so there must be someway to do it, but that seems like a waste of money, when just 5 cm away is a perfectly good pc creative speaker system, that can be swapped when needs be (as I do with broadband).

Any help much apprecaited (had a quick look on net, but no joy, not a big gamer so don't really know where to look.

Cheers guys,

And best wishes for the season etc.

Nick

Old 09 December 2003, 04:26 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

you need to change the standard cable for one with a digital out on it. Amazon £10.99 will do the trick

Craig.
Old 09 December 2003, 08:10 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Mines connected to my Dolby Digital amp with the Advanced Scart and an Optical cable. Sounds awesome
Old 09 December 2003, 09:53 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

And there are loads of games on xbox that support 5.1 surround
Old 09 December 2003, 10:35 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I have the DTS2500 Cambridge Soundworks (Creative) speakers.

They input in Digital DIN or SPDIF. So I have my Xbox Advanced scart lead, fibre optic into a converter boxs that translates the TOSLINK digital input/signal into a coax/SPDIF one, then RCA lead into the speaker amp. Sorted
Old 09 December 2003, 11:55 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I am in the middle of moving, and so stuff is all over the place, I never checked the back of the bass unit on my 5.1 to see it has Fricking audio imputs, so in my haste, I have moved my stereo over to my PC, and put the amp in the tv unit where the dvd used to live, because I had seen those cables, but in my mind I was thinking I needed to take the creative speaker output cables (that are in the PC, and plug them into something, not that I could actually leave them on the pc, and plug something into creative.

Not the end of the world, I don't have the space to set up my 5.1 to get full benefit, so you don't really feel like its surround anyway, and I got some tasty B&W speakers which whack out some good sound, and have awesome bass, plus funky yellow and black thingies, so it looks quite cool next to my tv, just trying to work out where the technics are going to live..

Ahh the joys of livign in london, in matchboxes lol!

Cheers for help boys, getting cable 2moro, can't wait to have it up full blast and take the tuscan for a blast around the ring

Cheers

good night

Nick