Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Pocket PC's?

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2003, 10:55 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah thanks for the info!

So i take it the 2210 is better or newer than the 1940?

Yea my boss has a 5550 but like you say it has the finger print reader for security and wireless network but the wireless network ain't really something I use at the mo and although the finger print thingy is a bit flash it's not a necessity.

What are the main things to look for when getting one, i.e. memory or processor power? is it like when getting a PC get the highest spec one you can find at the time?

I have also seen people talk about that GPS software too, does he find it any good?

Think I might see if I can get one of these little gadgets from Santa

Oh just saw this on ebay, is this the same or is this a bit dodgy as nearly £100 cheaper! - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3062011513&category=37 34

[Edited by stiscooby - 12/1/2003 11:00:29 PM]
Old 01 December 2003, 09:17 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I am thinking about getting an iPAQ pocket PC (or a similar make), can anyone give me any recommendations?

I like the 5550 but don't want to pay over £400 for one!

Oh and is that sat nav stuff that you get for these little gadgets any good??
Old 01 December 2003, 09:54 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

If you need wireless LAN then go for the 5xxx or 4xxx iPAQs, otherwise you'll only need something like the 1940 iPAQ - but buy a 256MB memory card as well.

I think the 1940's retail around £299.

Phil
Old 01 December 2003, 10:30 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Go for a 2210... I've just bought one and its BOSS!

comes with Bluetooth/infrared/Compact flash/Compact Flash IO (which mean you can stick a WiFi card in to gain that Wireless functionality).

Any models further up the range a pointless unless you really have a need for the extras.

I bought mine from a company called EuroSimm (UK) for under £300 including postage and NEXT DAY delivery!
http://www.eurosimm.com/sites/eurosimm.nsf/home.html

I've just had a look on their site and I can't find it listed so they must be out of stock. Bst give them a call as they sell out quick and more probably due in.

Any more questions drop me a line, I'll be glad to send you some info etc.

FF
Old 01 December 2003, 10:36 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

heres some more links:

Best Prices:
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xGS-2210_i...sers~NS-1~CR-1

GPS is also very good. My colleague in work has a 1940 with a Bluetooth GPS device. He has an application called TOMTOM navigator installed which links in with GPS via the box and tells him where to go. The GPS box costed around £130. Add-ons can be download for the TOMTOM software called Points-of-Interest to allow the integration of speedcamera databases which is also very smart and free!

For more information:
www.pocketgps.co.uk
Old 01 December 2003, 11:19 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Hi again,

The 2210 has a high spec processor than the 1940 and more RAM. 2210 also features a compact flash (CF) slot and a secure digital (SD) slot whereas the 1940 only has SD. The 1940 is about £40 cheaper but take it from me, you'd be better paying a little more for those extras.

You're right about the 'buy the best you can' as it will be more likely to last you longer but the higher the model the more bulky it gets and then it starts defeating the object of having a PDA. 2210 is best, take my word for it.

As for GPS, my colleague was extremely impressed by it though a little bit juddery on the occasion but we put this down to the 1940 being slower than the 2210. I have the software for my 2210, just need the GPS box to compliment it. TOMTOM tends to get the best reviews for navigation etc. That Pocket GPS site has reviews of all.

Steer clear of Ebay, unless the item is new and they have a good feedback rating. I think you'll find that'll go for around £250 -260 when it finishes, remember its still got 3 days to go. I'd take a look at that eurosimm place I mentioned before, as you'll get it delivered quicker.

bi for now

FF
Old 01 December 2003, 11:38 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Yea the ebay item says it's brand new with 1 years warranty but like you say probably will end up being nearer £300 when finished. And I think they might be imported as some of them are listed as a 2215 which I think are the American model???

I could actually get one from America as I know friends who live over there and could send it to me, but would the US model be the same as a UK one in terms of software etc?

Thanks for your help!

Trending Topics

Old 02 December 2003, 10:42 AM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

As far as I am aware the 2215 is the same spec as the uk model but I couldn't confirm if every element (software wise) is identical. I'd still go for a UK spec one from a support perspective as the warranty may be effected if its an American version. At the end of the day you need to way up what the cost saving is going to be.

FF
Old 02 December 2003, 06:27 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

If it's any help to your decission making, I can have any iPAQ at work and I've gone for a 1940.

I only use it for sync'ing e-mail, calendar and contacts via GPRS using the blutooth connectivity on my mobile. The small size was more important than power/expansion.

I have used it for sat nav, again via bluetooth, and it's fine. Like all computing devices it's a case of what you need vs what technology is available.

Phil
Old 02 December 2003, 08:28 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

mmmmmmm decisions decisions

I will see what the price diff is between the two. What are the main differences, is it just the Memory and Processor?

Probably a silly question, but is it expensive to connect to the internet via your PDA-Bluetooth-Mobile to access the net and e-mail? Guess it depends on your network/tariff? Does it then use your mobile to connect using GPRS? Am I right in thinking that that’s like an always connected type thing and you only pay for the information you receive?

Sorry for all the questions
Old 02 December 2003, 08:43 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

hello again,

The specs can be found here:
1940 : http://h41100.www4.hp.com/uk/eng/com...ds/fa105a.html

2210 : http://h41100.www4.hp.com/uk/eng/com...ds/fa103a.html

Main differences are :
2210 has a slot for Compact Flash (CF)as well as a secure digital (SD) media. CF is the larger of the two media but is cheaper and is quicker.
2210 comes with a case and the 1940 does not.
2210 also comes with a desktop cradle which doesn't on the 1940. The extras alone would cost to £50 more from HP.

Overall the 2210 is a little thicker than the 1940 but well worth the money.

Good luck with your decision.

FF