Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

X box and rear projection TV

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2003, 08:46 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone tried putting their X box through a rear projection TV? In the manual that came with my TV , it advises against it, however, I can't see how it can harm as long as it's not for long periods of time. Any advice here?
Old 26 November 2003, 09:57 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

It depends if the tv can handle the refresh rate / resolution of the xbox. I've tried running the xbox on some older tvs, and they just don't work, scrolling the screen around madly and generally corrupting the screen (even when the xbox is set to only 50hz). I can imagine this might not be to healthy for a projection tv...
Old 26 November 2003, 10:44 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

This link may help. Its PS2/Rear Projection related but there are links you could look at

Bajie you Muppet

[Edited by Bajie - 11/26/2003 10:45:50 AM]
Old 26 November 2003, 02:36 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

its not about corrupting the screen (most, if not all RPTVs should support 50 or 60Hz). Its about screen burn.

Most RPTVs have little tvs at the bottom of the screen, which fire upwards via mirrors to project onto the screen at the front. But to make a bright enough picture, the TVs have to run very brightly. So if you have a static picture (such as the Sky 'red dot' or a video game score) on the screen for a long time, the image can get burnt in, so it appears there all the time, even when the game is switched off.

Same can happen with plasma screens too.

Two ways to avoid this.

1) buy an LCD or DLP rear projection screen. These don't burn in, so no problem.

2) set up your TV properly. That almost certainly means turning the brightness and contrast down a lot. it'll seem dark initially, but you'll get used to it quickly and the TV will last a lot longer. There is a nice feature on DVDs like Star Wars called 'THX optimiser'. This lets you set the optimium brightness and contrast for your TV.
Old 26 November 2003, 03:24 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

I have a 44in LG DLP RPTV.
Bought this model as I did not want to risk screen burn on a plasma as I watch a lot of Sky Sports News.
Must say I'm more than a little impressed with it
And I got two more inches to play with for over a grand less