Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

new motherboard - how do I keep my raid config

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2003, 07:50 PM
BigTurbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Guys I am going to install a new mb in the next couple of days and thought I would ask some advice here

atm I have an asus a7v333 and changing it to a gigabyte ga7nnxp, is there anything I need to know about keeping my raid config at the minute its on a promise driver where both drives are seen as one large drive (can't remember if this is raid 0 or 1..doh!!)

I believe the gigabyte board uses a different raid driver and chip so I am very unsure how I actually go about installing this new board

Is it a matter of installing the new board and rebuilding the raid array ??

Dont want to lose any data and havent enough external storage to back the whole drives up.

As you experts can probably tell I dont really know alot about the technical side of this, so any advise would be greatly received so that I can be prepared
Old 19 November 2003, 09:12 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

not clued up but would have thought after install if using xp or 2000 it would ask if you wanted to keep the same driver

or use a driver backup prog and replace later, one called windriversbackup

[Edited by LeeMac - 11/19/2003 9:24:42 PM]
Old 20 November 2003, 03:12 AM
merlin
Scooby Regular

Someone might know better but I'm not aware of any standard RAID controller configuration. If that's the case then your new motherboard will not see the existing array and you will need to backup and recreate the raid arrays.
Old 20 November 2003, 08:28 AM
BigTurbo
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

thanks guys,

merlin that is exactaly what I am worried about ! I dont think the operating system sees the drives until the driver is loaded.

I did change from raid 1 to raid 0 (had to look which was which up and lost what data was on the drives at the time!)

my problem here is that I dont have anything near big enough to back everything up to now.

fingers crossed there is a solution otherwise the old mb might just stay where it is!

anyone else have any more ideas ?

(running xp pro, not that it will make any difference probably)

[Edited by BigTurbo - 11/20/2003 8:32:15 AM]
Old 20 November 2003, 08:37 AM
Iain
Scooby Regular

If you're using a different raid controller then I wouldn't count on the old raid set working.