Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Redhat Linux kernel builds

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2003, 05:58 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am currently working on a blade server, installing Redhat ES 2.1. I have installed a load of SRPMs and so now need to rebuild the kernel. The SRPMs are updates of currently installed packages, not new packages.

When i run the "make xconfig" i am presented with many options for what I want my kernel to support. What I cant understand is. does the make xconfig process look at my existing kernel and put its settings into the menu I am presented with, or is the menu full of default options that I have to change ?

Help !

Dave
Old 18 November 2003, 08:55 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I don't think that xconfig reads your kernal config.. the defaulted options will depend on the config file it is reading. Check the configs directory and pick the one closest to your platform.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 19 November 2003, 02:51 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just default values there, you'll need to know all that's in that box hardware-wise, at least those bits you want to use

Steve.
Old 19 November 2003, 08:42 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

As Steve says, you definitely don't want the default options.....esspecially for a server build.

However, the install manager will select what it thinks are the best options for the kernel on install so it may be worth starting with this.

I'm not a RH man when it comes to Linux, slack debian and SuSE are my flavour......however, I 'think' RH stores its current kernel config in /boot as config-`uname -r

You can copy this to your kernel source dir (/usr/src/linux) as a .config file. Your menus will then pick up on this.

# cp /boot/config-`uname -r` /usr/src/linux/.config
# make oldconfig
# make xconfig
Old 19 November 2003, 08:51 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Just thought i'd add, as I'm not 100% about the redhat thing, other distros have commands like:

# make cloneconfig
# cat /proc/config.gz > .config may also work as your running config will be stored in the proc filesystem.