Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Driving Game Manifesto

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2003, 10:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving games are getting better these days, still not quite there, Mercedes World racing, GP4, Midtown Madness, Live For Speed, GP Legends, Gran Turismo, GTA3/VC, driver etc all get close but none are perfect and all have some good bits.

Right I want

Large realistic environments, free form driving, traffic in road sections, pedestrians etc, circuits accurate and a limit on Ferris Wheels, Helicopters, airships, planes etc flying past.

On line play, leagues etc

Race if you want or just drive around

Damage, Properly modelled damage, not just bent panels but car models that bend realistically, if you hit a wall at 90 mph carnage, graze an opponent then you get a bent panel, also it must affect the mechanicals relistically, wheels chafing on bodywork twisted steering, not just the engine revving oddly or loosing 3rd gear.

Car setup and parts purchase, like the Gran Turismo series but perhaps more realistic, parts need replacing, wear out and break, parts can take out other parts, for example a tyre blows you damage a rim.

Burnouts, best fun in a racing game, good smoke with realistic engine behaviour, not one spin then the revs die, also the more doughnuts the more smoke until you cant see, couple with proper tyre wear, not two laps and your tyres turn red, WTF, 90 second burnout they explode, long race the go bald, not to difficult. World Racing does the smoke quite well on the Xbox.

Decent AI, devious and aggressive.

No lame storylines al la Toca Race Driver, Ryan McKane my ****.

Downloads, new cars created officially and open enough to let the user community make their own, again Gran Turismo gets this right and will have even more cars than before but Polyphony is never going to model a Hillman Avenger but somebody will want to drive it, possibly, oh you get the idea !

Ditto for new tracks, High Edge Raceway, Wilmslow (A34) By Pass, M60, all the top racing venues in South Manchester and surounding districts to be mapped by enthusiatic amateurs.

DX9 class graphics and beyond.

No Police Cars or Gatsos.

No Power ups

No ***** music, choose you own MP3's

No Arcade mode, drift mode etc, yuck

Gears, if a real car is automatic, it the game it gets an auto box, if manual it gets a manual.

Terrain, wet tarmac different to dry tarmac, different to snow. Snow builds up on roofs etc, Rain makes puddles.

No more F*ckin Colin Mcrae games with cars that pivot around the middle of the car, its just not right.

Come on lets have some more ideas

Old 12 November 2003, 10:20 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you make it I'll buy it

I am sure thounsands of others would buy it as well. The thing I hate most about current games is the damage (well lack of) . When I play GT3 and the like I always aviod hitting things and drive it like I would if I was driving it on a track, mates however bounce of walls, across grass verges and gain time as they do it

Darren
Old 12 November 2003, 10:32 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
No option to play outside the car.
Old 12 November 2003, 10:51 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
WRC is good for damage.

The Getaway is good for a real word location, pity the rest is a load of crap.

Burnout 2 for racing in traffic.

Gran Turismo 4 will be the daddy when it comes out.
Old 12 November 2003, 11:05 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

GT4 wont be the daddy. Sure, i will buy it and enjoy it for many hours, cos I like flying about in driving games, but once again there is to be no damage, and worst still, the cars still bounce off each other when touching.

IMHO it will be a slight graphical update, and have new tracks. Cants see anything else ground breaking, but lets hope!!

Dont understand why the damage thing cant be included, they reckon its due to licensing, but what about WRC, CMR4 etc???

Old 12 November 2003, 11:29 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

WRC, CR4 all have damage because it is a known fact that rally cars get damaged...

The trouble with the GT franchise is that your high end manufacturers such as BMW, Porsche, Lotus etc etc do not want to see there cars damaged...! I know that Polyphony have tried countless times to get damage put into the game but 'some' of the manufacturers will not comply....

Shame really cos that is what lets the game down so badly...

Old 12 November 2003, 11:41 AM
civic-type-r
Scooby Newbie

you need this looks ace

http://www.racing-legends.com/

Trending Topics

Old 12 November 2003, 12:25 PM
Bumpster
Scooby Regular

You get car damage in the Project Gotham Racing games on the Xbox! and they're the same manufacturers?
Old 12 November 2003, 12:43 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Polyphony should just pay for the damage licenses. They may cost a fair whack, but they will make millions on GT4, and would make even more if they added damage.
Old 12 November 2003, 12:52 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

That racing legends site doesnt actually tell you where you can buy or DL the game - odd!!