Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Some pointers needed for a UPS...

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2003, 11:38 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We recently had a job where we supplied a mobile temporary generator set to a travel company, as he had a planned mains outage. It has come to light that there is no UPS system, and I would like to flog the guy one if possible.

I think he only needs to back up his servers, as I think the servers hold the online trading element of the business, the workstations dotted around the office say 50 or so, he is not bothered about.

How can I determine the power requirements of the servers - is it a case of reading the power supply labels ?

How long is a reasonable amount of time to have the UPS run for ( Autonomy ??) ? the guy mentioned an hour but I think that will be one big *** UPS

Any Ideas of manufacturers to go for or avoid? , is a UPS bypass a neccessity, any other issues to consider??

cheers,

mike.

[Edited by mj - 11/3/2003 11:40:17 AM]
Old 03 November 2003, 12:20 PM
JR55
Scooby Regular

If you go to the APC website I think there is a calculator that will allow you to add different machines by name 'cos they know all the relevant power usages therefore giving you an idea of the size of UPS you require. Brand wise APC are the market leaders but the margin can be a bit crap 'cos every man and his dog sells them, GE are a less popular brand but are just as good as APC and there is more margin to be made!!
Old 03 November 2003, 02:42 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Some of the other brands on the market such as Liebert are much harder to get spares for like batteries, so be warned.

AllanB