Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Linux as your only machine ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2003, 08:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just installing Red Hat on my old pc, second attempt after it bombed out first time around, was wondering if anybody on here uses Linux and only Linux ?

Is it feasible or are you stuck with Windows for some stuff ?
Old 29 October 2003, 08:52 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends what "stuff" you mean? It is feasible and rewarding for a lot of reasons, but you still need to be more proficient than your average user IMHO - you need to put a little effort in...
Old 29 October 2003, 09:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Unix (Sco Unixware and Solaris) at work so I am not quite the average user even though I am no Unix Guru, have been meaning to do this for ages, its just the games that are my concern, are there many available ?
Old 29 October 2003, 09:35 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I was speaking with our Novell sales rep and they are using linux on destops with a free "Office" clone that works well.

I'd like to try it out some time.. if I get time..
Old 30 October 2003, 12:03 AM
Chris_
Scooby Regular

I used Mandrake for about 3 months but missed some of my favorite progs & games too much. Plus the Mrs ordered me to put "a proper operating system back on"

Now I run both Mandrake and Win XP pro on a partitioned drive.

[Edited by Chris_ - 10/30/2003 12:11:16 AM]
Old 30 October 2003, 12:37 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

J4CKO, it all depends on what you want out of your machine.

If your into gaming, your gonna wanna stick with windows.
If your into computers, you would be much better off with Linux.

Linux gives you the freedom to do whatever you want with your system, and doesn't lock you in a box where only Bill Gates has the key.
A quick point on this, I was at uni the other day and was writing some code for a new network app I'm working on. I compiled the code via djGCC on a winXP machine. I ran my prog to test it and windows poped up with a box saying that there had been an error in the program and did I want to send a reciept to M$. It didn't tell me what the facking error was, just told me that there was one!!! WTF What good are M$ gonna be at sorting my error....heh. Needless to say, is was a simple overflow error (not a good advertisment point for me being a security admin...hehe)

I have 8 machines at home and only 1 of them runs windows.....this windows machine is for test purposes only and doesn't get used all that often. If I want to simulate a windows environment I will usually do it inside Linux via VMware.

So in answer to your question, yes it is definitely possible. If you want a real operating system, switch to Linux, if you want an operating system designed for your grandma, stick with windows.

Old 31 October 2003, 11:27 AM
mr-white
Scooby Regular

i have linux (mandrake 9) running on my 2nd machine. the only reason i dont have linux on my one and only machine is i need a computer i feel confident using as i need it for educational purposes

MW