Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Maximum cable length for USB ??

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2003, 08:03 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of putting up a security camera, well, web cam in a waterproof box....
Trouble is the Garage is at the other end of the house (approx 30m away)
Can the camera be connected to the pc over this length via USB. ?

Andy
Old 18 October 2003, 11:27 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

From what I have seen looks like the max is 15ft.

You can however extend this with a line extender to 150ft.

Old 19 October 2003, 03:49 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

From usb.org: http://www.usb.org/faq/ans5#q3.

Q2: Why can't I use a cable longer than 3 or 5m?
A2: USB's electrical design doesn't allow it. When USB was designed, a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on USB data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to something in the range of 4m. This method has a number of advantages and, since USB is intended for a desktop environment, the range limitations were deemed acceptable. If you're familiar with transmission line theory and want more detail on this topic, take a look at the USB signals section of the developers FAQ.

Q3: How far away from a PC can I put a USB device?
A3: With the maximum of 5 hubs connected with 5m cables and a 5m cable going to your full speed device, this will give you 30m of cable (see section 7.1.19 for details). With a low speed device, you will be able to get a range up to 27m, depending on how long the device's cable is. With a straightforward cable route, you will probably be able to reach out 25m or so from the PC.

Q4: I need to put a USB device X distance from my PC. What do I do?
A4: If X is less than 25m or so (see previous question), buy a bunch of hubs and connect them serially with 5m cables. If you need to go farther than that, put another PC, or maybe a laptop, out where you need the device to be and network it with the first PC using something that's intended to be a long-range connection, such as Ethernet or RS-485. If you need to use nothing but USB, consider using USB based Ethernet adapters to hook the PCs together.

Edited to add: that; the hubs mentioned above need to be the powered variety. If you must use a PC based camera then a network webcam might be the solution. A cheap mono camera (colour can't see in the dark) linked to a simple video sender and a basic tv / capture card in your pc will probably be better in every respect and cheaper too. Unless you intend to view your (now empty) garage remotely via a webcam site then I'd consider making a regular camera cordless and adding a remote VCR starter.

Hope this helps

Simon

[Edited by GC8 - 10/19/2003 3:58:49 PM]