Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Simple (?) VPN/router type question

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2003, 09:30 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure this is so simple, but I just can't crack it and would be grateful for any suggestions.

I have two little networks, one of 2 machines running Win2000 and the other a single XP machine, connected by a VPN with the end-points in the routers. They are both on different subnets, so the routers will route between them, and the main point of the VPN, netmeeting, works just fine.

However, when I try to browse a machine on the other side of the VPN operations like changing directory are SLOW SLOW SLOW. If I copy a file then the actual data transfer goes at about the speed I would expect. Now, I am browsing the remote machine by it's IP address as it isn't connecting to my WINS server at present. However, as WINS is only name resolution I can't imagine how that would cause the problem. It is, however, my best bet for at least being involved somehow :-)

Needless to say I don't see the remote machines or workgroup in my network places.

I have tried setting a machine on my network to the IP address of the remote network and it was possible to browse that machine fine so this problem is somehow related to what the routers are passing and how they are doing it. Changing directories, for example, does work eventually so it is almost like something keeps getting tried until it times out and then the system completes the task in some other way.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on this one as I bet it's simple once you know the answer but I certainly don't know the answer!
Old 16 October 2003, 07:35 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Use lmhosts files entries. MS OS's, even when using IP address, will constantly try and resolve/check names.

Richard
Old 16 October 2003, 06:42 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Dowser, will give it a try as it sort of makes sense in view of the nature of the problem.

Never used lmhosts files before so it will be an interesting experiment.