Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

A personal request to web Dev's/artists on here pls :)

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2003, 12:01 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks, I am spamming this up on here to hopefully get some expert help and for a friend of mine who is trying her hardest to get a little side venture off the ground. Basically, her name is (Lovely) Lyn and I know her through my various Gaming activities and clan malarkey.

Not going into too much detail here, but due to some very poor health this year, partially related to her old job, Lyn is on prolonged/indefinate leave from her current employer and is trying setting up a sideline to help fill a gap in a current niche market that is basically customized (embroided etc) T Shirts, Polo Shirts etc for gaming clans. Now you may chuckle, but this is actually becoming quite a big thing over here now, with 1000+ player LAN parties being held regularly for example and the demand is there. I think that any custom work will be considered tho.

The problem is that Lyn needs to get her products and skills available for all and sundry to see, ideally by a website. She may well be pc literate and into gaming, but web stuff simply is not her thing at all, so she had previously got someone to build the site for her, but they have been completely corrupt, done virtually no work on it at all, falsified html to make it look like it was doing failed database calls etc when it obv wasn't, etc all to make her think that he was doing something with it. He has completely conned her and enough is enough in all honesty.

Basically, I know a lot of you and know that 90% of us are top guys so I would really like for one of you to consider taking this project on. It doesn't have to be FOC by any means. Lyn is prepared to pay for the work of course, but I have no idea of what sort of money we are talking about. So please talk to her regarding that . If you want to do it out of the goodness of your heart tho or at special rates for a very special person in need of genuine kind ppl to make her dream a reality, feel free

Seriously tho, lyn has some well thought out ideas on looks etc for the site etc.

I have a couple of examples along the lines of the sort of thing that she may well be trying to get:

Look:

http://www.prestigeleisure.com/produ...ductcode=SS35M

Ordering system:

http://www.buythet-shirt.com/shop.asp

Both myself and Lyn would be grateful for ANY assistance that you guys could offer with this. I can do web stuff, but if it isn't PHP, I have no clue. Add to that that I am not an arty-farty in any way, shape, mean or form and you see why I am not doing it .

Please feel free to contact: lyn@clanshirts.co.uk

Thank you all very much in advance,

Nick

Old 08 October 2003, 03:11 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I know the guys that built the Buythet-shirt site, they are based a few doors up from me, but are quite expensive, well into the £K's AFAIK.

I would have gladly done you a deal, but cant do any extra work until 2004 now. If she can wait until the new year then I can probably sort something out.
Old 08 October 2003, 04:29 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thank you very much for the info DW, I think that if it is going to cost a complete fortune, maybe an inbetween solution could possibly be put together, because as I see it, getting anything online will be a start over what is there. This is of course for her to decide tho. Shame as I like your work

Thanks again and a bump to the top for anyone else who might be able to help.
Cheers,

Nick
Old 08 October 2003, 05:35 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

The first site is quite a simple table looking at the source. Looks like there is a lot of ASP content (not that I know what that is really - is it a database? I think it is. I guess it definately needs a proffessional to set all that up and set up your shopping carts etc. Its not cheap to set up a shopping cart as I looked into it for my business.

I hope you find someone willing to do it cheap because as mentioned above, there really is some serious money passing hands for proffessionally built websites... when you look at the code you can understand that too!
Old 09 October 2003, 12:12 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I can fully appreciate the time put into it. I have put faaaaar to many hours into PHP scripting this year

A boing to the top
Old 09 October 2003, 02:55 PM
Lord_Wubster
Scooby Newbie

A friend of mine who does websites for companies will offer to do the site, as appeared in the ad above for a fixed fee of £400, I cannot release his name on here as he doesnt want all and sundry asking foe websites at that

I will email you with teh details

Thanks
Old 09 October 2003, 03:45 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Hi

These guys do some good web site cart software. Recommended to me by a friend, although I have not used it myself.

http://www.actinic.co.uk/

Best of luck.
Old 10 October 2003, 10:06 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

The company that I work for will be releasing a very easy to use commerce package where you pay just under £200 quarterly to include the hosting and 'rental' of the package. Email me if interested.