Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Viruses

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2003, 12:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Unhappy

I wonder if someone can enlighten me...

During the past month I've had at least 5 of the same virus sent to my 1 e-mail account... W32.Klez.H@mm

Now normally I get the odd virus like we all do, and it's caugght by the virus software before it's dumped in my inbox. But it's the same virus every time!

Also it's to an e-mail address that is very rarely distributed (only freinds and family have it) So it's my assumption that one of these peeps has got it on their system :roleyes: A mass mail didn't work (my mates are probably too lazy to check )

I know the virus probably uses its own SMTP server to send the mail, so you can't tell who it came from.

So, does anyone know how to actually trace where the mail came from? Or is it futile effort?
Old 30 September 2003, 12:57 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unfortunately i aint a clue, ive never actually had a virus come thru to any of my email adresses since i first got a computer
Old 30 September 2003, 01:02 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

unless the mail has been sent via remailers, you can always see who the sender is by viewing the headers.
Old 30 September 2003, 01:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Fake headers are common.
Old 30 September 2003, 07:28 PM
fundimental
Scooby Regular

i've had that same virus 11 times now, i use mail washer for that account now, but at the same time i was getting a trojan virus detected by norton, like you say no problems, then they all come
at once.