Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows networking between 2 remote locations

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2003, 12:22 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to share folders etc between 2 "remote locations". For example, at Location A there are 4 computers all networked via windows home networking and they all appear in the network neighbourhood with access to particular folders on each pc.

Now there is the same sort of thing at "Location B". They are remote sites with connectivity only via the internet. Location a is at ip address 162.1.1.1 (for example) and Location b is at ip address 162.9.9.9.

Is it possible to make the 2 networks all appear in the same network neighbourhood and "share" the two networks together?

I hope this makes some sort of sense!

Thanks

David
Old 28 September 2003, 12:32 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

I don't think that this is particulalry difficult, I've dialed in to servers in this sort of configuration quite often just using dialup networking.

I think you'd need to set up a RAS connection at the other end, I've never done this, so don't know how, but type RAS into Yahoo or something, I'm sure stacks of pages will come up
Old 28 September 2003, 12:45 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I don't know your exact circumstances but the best solution might be an ADSL line at each end along with a router than can cope with VPN. VPN = Virtual Private Network and basically it uses the internet to connect the two networks so they appear to have a direct connection between them. You can then browse shared folders etc. as if them remote PC was sitting next to you, except that it is slower.

It should also be possible to do this via dialup and configure the PC to act as the VPN endpoint but I've never done that and so don't have direct experience. To be honest getting a router that does it all for you is a much easier solution.

You will need the PCs on each network to be on a different subnet so the routers will know to route between them. To make it really easy set one lot to something like 192.168.1.X and the others to 10.1.1.X. Most routers do a thing called DHCP and so can allocate IP addresses to all the PCs connected to them plus they also provide the computers with information relating to the address of the router etc.

I wouldn't say that the configuration of a VPN is dead simple but if you read the documentation for the routers then my money says you can make it work with a little thought. It would be even easier if the routers at each end were the same type. It is possible, and normal, to encrypt the data between endpoints so no one on the internet can see what you are up to on your "private" network.