Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Locating source of virus

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2003, 09:32 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just wondering if anyone can help me.

My anti-virus software is up to date and i use a firewall now that i'm on Broadband, but over the last couple of days i've been inundated with E-mails *allegedly* sent by me to other recipients which have been blocked and sent back. The last one said my IP address was on a blacklist which I don't know what effect this has on my standing in Cyberspace, but not being in IT, I don't know enough about computers to take the appropriate action.

As you can imagine this is a bit of a pain cause the anti-virus software takes an age to sort out the mail, deleting the virus, before dropping it in the In-box and telling me of the situation.

Is there anyway i can find out where this virus is using my address from?
I suspected a couple of people that had been mailing me recently on a regular basis and notified them of the problem and asked them to ensure their anti-virus software was up to date and have reported back that they are clean.

I ran a check on my PC yesterday (4 hours!!) and all bodes well.

Any suggestions on what to do?, since i've run out of ideas!!!

Any input appreciated! Driving me nuts!!

Alan
Old 27 September 2003, 09:37 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Sorry to say Alan that there's pretty much nothing you can do. The design of the email system allows this mess. I'm suffering here too and I work in the Antivirus industry. Even felt the need to install Antispam software at home yesterday for the first time in a good eight years. It's working rather well, but then I would say that.
Old 27 September 2003, 11:20 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Thanks Jack

I had a spate of spam a while ago, usually two in one day, a day break, then another two the following day. This went on for about a week, then stopped thankfully. And it was the inevitable **** they wanted you to click on...

But this problem is bothering me because it's the first time i've had a mail "sent back" which indicated that the IP address was on a block list.

Not being the most PC literate, i don't understand all the bumph they give back with the so called original message. It's just a load of mumbo jumbo to me..

What's to say that genuine mails from me will then become blocked despite not having a virus attached?

Alan
Old 27 September 2003, 11:42 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
The messages you're recieving that appear to be sent back are most likely fake, just another way of tempting you into clicking on the attachment.