Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anybody on here using a Laptop to DJ maybe you can help me

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2003, 06:35 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run a DJ and PA hire company here in Ireland. For years I have used CDs and Vinyl but recently I decided to invest in a Panasonic CF 50 Toughbook Laptop and BPM Pro DJ software and controller. So far it has been nothing but problems starting with a clicking noise coming from tha Maya EX Soundcard USB soundcard but I got round that by changing OS from XP to 2000 Prof. I thought great probs solved but........ the sound quality just isnt up to the quality I was getting from my Denons and the latency is a lot slower than Denons as well. I also notice crosstaik between the channels on the soundcard which means audio leaks from Channel 1 on my mixer through to Channel 2 and vice versa. If any of you guys have experience with this and can advise I would greatly appreciate it.
Below is a copy of what I posted on Mayas Tech support site
I am using BPM Prof Panasonic CF50 Toughbook Laptoip and Windows 2000 Prof. I use channels 3+4 for Channel 1 on my DJ mixer and 5+6 for Channel 2. The mixer is a Pioneer DJM 600 and is working perfectly. I notice that when I have music playing on BPMs Player 1 which use Channels 3+4 on the Maya card it can be heard very faintly and distorted coming through on 5+6 and vice versa. I have also noticed that the sound quality from the card is quite poor when compared to my Denon CD pyrs. You will probably remember me from a couple of weeks ago as I had problems with crackling coming from the soundcard which was finally resolved by changing operating systems from Windows XP to 2000 Prof but now this!!! I wonder is there some sort of issue between the Chipset my machine is using and Maya? Surely the sound quality should be as good as my CD pyrs? Also the latency is very poor compared to Denon should this be so? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 18 September 2003, 10:17 AM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Old 18 September 2003, 11:30 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

cllubscene,

dont DJ with one but have run sequencers and soft-synths from one. You would get more help if you posted on this forum www.computermusic.co.uk just follow the link to the forums. Also go to www.sospubs.co.uk and look for articles on optimising Win2K/XP for audio. I know latency increases slightly with USB based soundcards but still shouldnt be a problem, I know the Maya PCIs have a good name. Perhaps you could take your lappy to a shop and try it with an alternative USB box such as the audiophile which is a very popular choice.

Good luck!
Old 18 September 2003, 01:05 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Cheers Gary