Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Graphics problem since formating PC. Please help a PC retard :(

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2003, 05:37 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hello,

My PC died and had to be formated (I didnt do it, dont know how to). Unfortunately, when playing games the graphics are not as smooth as before. This is REALLY noticable when playing "Vietcong."

When you move around the graphics are very jerky, no where near as smooth as before. You cant aim properly because when you try to make small mouse movements the cross hair is unresponsive and makes big "jumps" as you move it, not smooth scrolling. When you dont move, the graphics look as good as before. Its just movement that is really bad, so much so that its not worth playing. When you run around it strains your eyes .

I tried installing all the drivers from the graphics card, then going to the Nvidia site to get latest update but it makes no difference. I presume thats all drivers I need? How do I tell?

Please, please can someone help. I am useless with PC's.

Graphics card: Nvidi GeForce4 Ti4200 (AGP8X)

When I go to CONTROL PANEL> DISPLAY> MSI INFORMATION> it says:

BIOS 4.28.20.05.11
MEMORY 32MB

Should that be 128MB? Thats how much the graphics card has.

When I go to CONTROL PANEL> DISPLAY> SETTINGS> ADVANCED> GEFORCE TI4200 WITH AGP8X> it comes up with this error in a windows box:

An exception occured while trying to run "shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL "C\WINDOWS\System32\desk.cpl",Display"

Before the format, I used to be able to go here and adjust settings for the graphics card. Now I cant and just get that error.

Please, please someone help me. If you need anymore info just ask. PC is running XP Proffesional.

Thanks for any help

Old 14 September 2003, 06:13 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Have you reinstalled the :-

1. Mother board drivers
2. Graphics card drivers

Don't use the ones that install with XP - got to the website and download the latest drivers....

Hope this helps

Dan
Old 14 September 2003, 06:14 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I have exactly the same card... Ive done you a screen shot for reference... if you need other views of information let me know. sometimes it helps to move you card to a different slot but as it worked ok the last time I doubt that would help. Re-install the card??
Old 14 September 2003, 07:57 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

er it's an agp card, there's only one slot,

Si
Old 14 September 2003, 07:58 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Ps Soulgirl have you got standard monitor connected plus dvi and a tv jobbie, or is there a second gfx card
Old 14 September 2003, 09:03 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah cookie LOL... Doh! I haven't had to shuffle cards for ages and Im not that aufait with hardware really... just know where to shove it all.

I have two on the geforce (one on vga, the other on the DVI connector with a vga adaptor). Then the third on a minging ATI Rage PCI card.
Old 15 September 2003, 12:18 AM
Chris_
Scooby Regular

I would go with ScoobyDoo on this one. Once you have done that install the latest version of directX and also make the correct settings for OpenGL and Direct3D.

Trending Topics

Old 15 September 2003, 09:19 AM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Hello

Thanks for your replies

Soulgirl, I cant get that screen up (3rd box in your screen shot). If I click on the GeForce header I get the error I mentioned in my original post:

An exception occured while trying to run "shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL "C\WINDOWS\System32\desk.cpl",Display"

Also I have 4200 not 4400 like you.

Scoobydoo, I have installed graphics drivers from disc and got latest Nvidia ones from their website. My friend reformatted/re installed everything for me when it died. I gave him the drivers disc for motherboard and he used that to install them.

Chris_, what is OpenGL and Direct3D? Where do I get them/set up/install etc? I am computer thickie . Also where do I get directX from (and what is it?)?

Thankyou all for your help, much appreciated
Old 15 September 2003, 10:36 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The exception error normally comes up when you install detonator 4 drivers over det 3. There is a fix that is downloadable to sort this. Once you have run the fix, reinstall the latest det 4 drivers. Once installed, check to see that anti-aliasing is set to off, not x2 (which i think is default). If you can't find the fix, email me and i'll send it to you...
Old 15 September 2003, 01:20 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

DominicA,

You have mail

I cant find the file you were talking about . You are right, I just installed the latest driver over the one it came with. I presume that was not the way to do it? I would really appreciate it if you could mail it to me, or post a link as I cant find it.

Thanks

[Edited by ernie - 9/15/2003 1:58:11 PM]

[Edited by ernie - 9/15/2003 2:06:42 PM]
Old 15 September 2003, 02:40 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Question

Was Dom on about Detonator Destroyer?

If so, look here:

http://www.chill-tek.com/nvidia-drivers.html

Cheers,

Nick
Old 15 September 2003, 03:30 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mr Footlong,

Cheers, I downloaded and ran that program.............. but it came up with a box saying "Unknown card or Non Nvidia drivers"

However, the drivers I installed were from:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

I downloaded Version: 45.23

Please help me
Old 15 September 2003, 03:48 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just to reiterate, I cant access the graphics card options because that error message comes up and kicks me back out. I cant check that anti aliasing thing. However, I DO remember changing that when I first got the PC after reading about it somewhere.

I again tried uninstalling the graphics drivers and reinstalling the latest from the Nvidia website, but it makes no difference. I keep getting error message and Vietcong graphics are headache inducingly jerky
Old 15 September 2003, 03:49 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, I think that you have to uninstall the 45 series drivers from add/remove and let her boot on the generic xp drivers. Then see if det destroyer can hunt down the erroneous files if they exist. Dom is spot on about that being a tell tale sign of the problems that overlaying detonator drivers used to have, but let's see how it goes. Not holding my breath, but worth a try in the scheme of things methinks...

Cheers,

Nick
Old 15 September 2003, 03:51 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

det 3 to 4 fix sent via email....
Old 15 September 2003, 04:32 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the email prog DominicA . I can now see the graphics card options, and I reinstalled the latest drivers (again).

Unfortunately, the graphics on Vietcong are still very jerky. You cant make any fine adjustments with the mouse crosshair. Sometimes I move the mouse (optical) about 1-2cm before it registers on the screen as a "jump", not smooth movement. Any movement at all is jerky.

I checked the anti aliasing setting and put it to off as recommended. Are there any other settings I need to check? I really am useless with computers. Any tip or hint however "basic" will not be wasted on me. I do not know what the settings should be.

Hopefully Im halfway there. At least the settings are now available . Please if you have any other advice I would be very gratefull. Its annoying because the graphics were fine before the PC died .

Thanks again
Old 15 September 2003, 05:11 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Question

What is the Motherboard and what is the OS?
Old 15 September 2003, 05:28 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Mr Footlong,

Its a K7 Triton 400 series 7VAXP Ultra Gigabyte. OS is Windows XP Pro. It has Athlon 2400+ CPU

Thanks again

[Edited by ernie - 9/15/2003 5:53:41 PM]
Old 15 September 2003, 06:31 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Question

Have you reinstalled your Latest VIA Hyperion drivers yet?
Old 15 September 2003, 06:32 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Mr Footlong,

Sorry I dont know what they are or where I get them from , so the answer is probably "no"
Old 15 September 2003, 07:08 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Does that mobo have onboard graphics - I cant be arsed to look it up.

If so, why not switch to that.. powerdown and remove the graphics card.. power up , power down then install your card again and xp should automatically install the hardware for you.. this could work if it was a corrupted install initially...??? But then again Im prolly talking crap. If something dont work for me I always take it out and start again as a matter of course and elimination. If you have the correct drivers it's best to start again. Go on, someone contradict me
Old 15 September 2003, 07:57 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

Basically a VIA chipset driver, which helps aspects like usb, IDE and AGP performance and stability etc. I recommend that you install them.

If you see no difference, uninstall the nvidia drivers once more, lay the hyperion drivers over the top, then reinstall the det drivers, rebooting in between all these steps first of course.

May help, but worth having on there anyway IMO.

Cheers,

Nick

[Edited by Mr Footlong - 9/15/2003 7:58:05 PM]
Old 15 September 2003, 09:25 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mr Footlong,

Thanks for the link. I installed the program but it made no difference . Then I did as you suggested and uninstalled graphic drivers, installed hyperon prog, then reinstalled graphics drivers. Unfortunately it made no difference at all .

I really dont see why the graphics are so ****e. They were very smooth before, now its not worth playing really .

Is it worth uninstalling Vietcong then reinstalling it? Or is that pointless?

Do you (or anyone else ) have any other suggestions? I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again
Old 15 September 2003, 11:04 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Someone I know says:

It could be that whoever reinstalled forgot to put in the chipset drivers, 'cept that the WinXP native ones should work well.

I'd uninstall your GF4 drivers and your chipset drivers, and then reinstall chipset and GF4 drivers, in that order.

also, try turning off AGP8X (to 4X) in bios. That's unlikely the issue, but possible.

And another (quite mad) London friend says:

It's a driver problem, I've had it. You should try a different version. www.guru3d.com has several versions you could try. 40.72 always worked very well for me, so did the 30.x driver.

[Edited by Soulgirl - 9/15/2003 11:05:50 PM]
Old 15 September 2003, 11:10 PM
Chris_
Scooby Regular

Ernie

Download and install this DirectX driver anyway. Click Here

it may even solve the problem.

Old 15 September 2003, 11:10 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Soulgirl,

I appreciate your help but could you please be a bit more specific as I dont understand, I really am thick with PC's. What are chipset drivers and where do I get them? Are they something to do with the motherboard? If so do I use the installation disc that came with the motherboard to get thes chipset drivers?

If I unisnstall them (once I know where they are to reinstal ) how do I do it exactly?

I dont understand what you mean about turning off AGP (whatever that means ) in BIOS? How do I do that?
Thanks again for your help, I am very grateful

[Edited by ernie - 9/15/2003 11:14:13 PM]
Old 15 September 2003, 11:12 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Chris_,

I have already done that. But thanks again
Old 15 September 2003, 11:15 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Ernie,Soulgirl is talking about the Hyperion drivers that me mate Mr Footlong told you to try so dont bother with them.
Chris has put in a link to Direct X(not sure which version as not looked)but you will probably have a copy of that on your Vietcong cd.
Can we clarify what the problem is now?Is it just with Vietcong or have you still got issues in windoze?

Steve
Old 15 September 2003, 11:19 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

http://mb.giga-byte.com/

[Edited by Soulgirl - 9/15/2003 11:26:14 PM]
Old 15 September 2003, 11:23 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, can you run the Vietcong setup and do a screen grab of the setup window or list what it contains?

Quick Reply: Graphics problem since formating PC. Please help a PC retard :(