Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dump of physical memory?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 09:35 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could try updating his bios.
Can be downloaded from dell site.
Could be wrong memory installed, has he had a memory upgrade ??

Could be drivers..you will most likely need admin rights if NT,2K or XP to load them. Again latest driver sets can be downloaded from dell.com

Other than that , dunno mate.

[Edited by Foot_Tapper - 9/1/2003 9:35:42 AM]
Old 31 August 2003, 10:35 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

From my short time working in IT I frequently heard this termed the 'blue screen of death'. Now my other half bought a laptop from Dell about 3 months ago and has had these fairly frequently since buying. Everytime he has done what they requested and sent the error details to Microspft and they have said don't wory, its driver problems or something. Tonight he's had another memory dump and then the PC wouldn't boot bac up. He got 'error, hard drive not readable, non bootable source, f1 to retry and f2 for utilities'/ (Sorry for vague error messages, I'm remembering a phone conversation!). He's eventually got it up and working but only when its not connected to the mains (so on battery). I've told him to back up everything he needs to a cd while its working and tomorrow he's goign to ring dell (again, this will be the second laptop replacement since he bought the thing) and get it replaced, but can anyone tell us what's going on in there??

Thanks

Foxy
Old 01 September 2003, 10:05 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

If it is only 3 months old, speak to Dell. Their tech support teams are excellent. Call 0870 907 5000 and choose Option 1.

Darren
Old 01 September 2003, 10:23 AM
lightning
Scooby Regular

This post is bring back some really bad memories of a Thinkpad that I bought. I took it back 4 times to be fixed and various bits and pieces where replaced but the fundamental hardware/design problem was never corrected. Found loads of other users on the web that had the same problem with that model. Eventually I got a full refund after having it 2 years.

The hardware problem (I am guessing that it was something to do with the power supply) lead to all sorts of other problems manifesting themselves and much time was wasted trying to solve peripheral issues (Bios updates, driver updates etc. etc.). You really have to put the pressure on Dell to sort it out. Also see on the web if there are any difficulties associated with your particular model.

Whatever happens make sure you keep a log of all the repairs and conversations that take place. If you can prove that the goods are not fit for purpose you are entitled to a refund and/or a replacement. The Citizens Advice Bureau have a brochure explaining what you can do.

Remember that Dell, HP/Compaq and even IBM do not make most of their laptops. They subcontract a small number of mainly Taiwanese firms to make them. The technicians at Dell may be not be able to fix the problem.