Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Win2k Domain Replication

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2003, 05:45 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have been having troubles with domain replication of policies and scripts from main domain server to other domain servers.

It seems somehow the folder called "DO_NOT_REMOVE_NtFrs_PreInstall_Directory" , which is located in C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\sysvol\fulldomain.local on the main server has gone missing in action.

Inside the fulldomain.local, you then have a folder called Policies and Scripts (which is were netlogon is shared from).

You also have the "DO_NOT_REMOVE..." in C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\domain

Now, it seems that since the folder, "DO_NOT_REMOVE...", has been removed from the sysvol\sysvol directory, file replication will not work.

What is the way to recreate this directory? I have tried to manual create it, but it didn't work (which i thought would happen). How do I know this? well I could delete the directory. Tried to delete the "DO_NOT_REMOVE..." directory on our test domain, and it wont allow you to remove it, as the system is using the dir....

So, Is there any command to recreate this directory?

[Edited by ChristianR - 8/8/2003 6:10:11 PM]
Old 08 August 2003, 06:37 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Christian

Have you tried doing an Active Directory retore on the faulty DC

Old 09 August 2003, 12:27 AM
DSOTM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest, checking the event log is the first thing you need to do. There is a separate event log for FRS.

To delete the folder on your test domain, I would think you need to stop the FRS service first.

Likewise, I would think that creating it would need a restart of the FRS service to pick it up. Remember, you might need to set attributes for it to work. (Can't check that as Im decidedly not at work atm )

Off the top of my head, the next thing to try would be running dcpromo.exe on the duff server to demote it.
Run it a second time to promote it, and I would think it will recreate everything required, along with replicating AD from your other DC.

HTH

Old 11 August 2003, 08:35 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sonic - it has been playing up for almost a year, so it looks like it happened ages ago, so a AD restore isn't an option to be honest.

The event log things everything is working fine with replication, but it isnt.

What attribs did you set? I basically replicated what I saw on another dc.

Yeah I was thinking about the last option. Only problem is, this is also our main data server. We have some local groups setting permissions on the data drives, which inside that has global groups.

If I demoted this, wouldn't the local groups/permissions be lost?