Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone on here play BF1942?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2003, 02:26 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just wondered how many of you on here indulge in a bit of battling online? If so, what is your ID on the game, and which player-type do you prefer? Any favourite maps?

Surprisingly enough I'm called Duck Pond on it. Prefer being a sneaky bar-steward sniper, and really like the Aberdeen and Gazala maps.

Didn't play much over the last few weeks (holidays / weather too good not to be drinking ale in the sunshine) and my ranking has dropped again!
Old 22 July 2003, 02:45 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Yep play alot at the moment as they have just brought out a new map called 'Battle Of Britain' definetly worth downloading.
I am usually found on the EA UK servers as they give me the best pings of around 12 so if you are ever online I am called Zen !!
Old 22 July 2003, 03:00 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I played it briefly but my machine nearly coughed its guts (Athlon 1.2, 384mb ram, 64Mb graphics card) - people on my side kept getting pissy with me for machine gunning them to stop them beating me to the spawned planes etc. (only way I could get there). Ah well

Sod all to do with this (other than reminds me that my machine's slow) - I'm considering upgrading the PC at the minute but for the same price as a half decent graphics card I can get an XBox, XBox live and Unreal Tournament...... hmmmm, suddenly having the latest PC doesn't seem so appealing.
Old 22 July 2003, 03:07 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah but if you had kept your machine up to date a bit more often then it wouldnt be such a dog now, I think I had a paraffin heater like yours about three years ago, a lifetime in PC terms

psst, buy the XBox
Old 22 July 2003, 03:10 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Xbox is all well and good for driving games but I find for first person shootem ups then you can't beat a Pc
I remember trying to play Medal of Honor on my playstation 2 and I just couldn't get the hang of the control pad, give me a mouse and keyboard any day
Old 22 July 2003, 03:12 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

My Clan:http://www.thesasclan.net

We are third out of the UK Clans in Clanbase ATM

We are after a couple of very, and I mean very good pilots to join us, pref dogfighters, not bombers, but we are not some mad hardcore clan who play a million matches a week, we normally have 1 and normally a Friday night get beered up and Comms session

Cheers,

Nick
Old 22 July 2003, 03:15 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry, {SAS}Mr Footlong is my tag and we have our own 24/7 server, '{SAS} Beer Drinkers Server' which is pretty busy most nights and we enforce the law on their very well with regards to retards
Old 22 July 2003, 03:26 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ho ho - I would be classed as a "retard" then on your last statement, as there is no way that the words "good" and "pilot" can be used together in a sentence about me.

I wish that the scoring system was adapted to reward the types of player though, as killing the masses with a sniper's rifle from the top of a distant hill tends to be tricky. You can have a really good session - kill off over 15 people say, while being killed only once or twice, and still end up way down the final rankings.

I suppose the argument is that ultimately snipers are pretty ineffective at winning battles.

Old 22 July 2003, 03:32 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

aaahhhh.... those were the days....

I enjoyed my BF days... but no one seemed to want to play CTF
Old 22 July 2003, 03:33 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

What I mean by Retard is that we only have 2 simple rules on the server, no tank camping in uncapturable bases and no infantry spawn camping in uncapturable bases. As in The Allied Airfield and Axis main base on Market Garden (My Fav) as you can't capture them, you follow? Sniping from outside them etc is fine.

We warn players and them ban them if they continue to do it. Foul-mouthed oiks too apply to this rule. Apart from that it is a nice fun free-for-all

Cheers,

Nick
Old 22 July 2003, 03:36 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Yeah, my rankings have gone down from ranked 700 odd to about 4000 odd this month, as I have been offline a lot and mostly pissing about when online Also, my rig is no more, so playing on my other half's machine and really not handling the lag well . I take it that you use http://www.bftracks.net to see how you are doing ?

Cheers,

Nick
Old 22 July 2003, 03:55 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Personally I'm not the best pilot around but have been getting alot of practice on the new maps out.
Is your clan server public or have you got to register to access it??

Old 22 July 2003, 04:02 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Yep - use the BFStats site. Best ranking I mustered was around the 10,000 mark. But there are mates on there that I know are much better at the game than I am, who are ranked below me.

As for the base-campers, they really annoy me too. Almost as much as the pr!cks who still find it amusing to do friendly fire.

Has anyone else noticed the bug in the latest patch that allows you to be blown through ceilings?

On Aberdeen, I have been in the concrete bunkers at one of the bases, had an incoming shell from a tank blow me upwards through the ceiling. So you then land back on the roof, and become a sitting duck (no pun intended). Rather irritating!
Old 22 July 2003, 04:14 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

The server is public

Yep, I ban qithout thinking twice ppl that blow up their own equipment, example: I landed my bomber on the carrier last night on Wake to repair, Mr I am camping for a plane bazookas it whilst I am repairing = Instant ban from me

The blow through the roof error is excellent, cracks me up, but what I don't like is no more expack jumps anymore Great fun. Mind you, Supermaning from the frigate to the top base on Omaha beach and dropping detpacks whilst coming down makes up for it when having a larf or supermanning from the windmill to the church etc on MG At least that hole in the code is being fixed in the next patch.

cheers,

Nick
Old 22 July 2003, 04:20 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Cool I will give it a go tonight !
Old 22 July 2003, 04:25 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Yeah, we only superman it when having a larf, don't actually use it to directly cap flags etc, as obvious cheating, can only be done on maps with water. Might see if I can get across the shannel on Battle of Britain tonight. It is useful tho when say for instance spawn on carrier on wake island and all planes taken, you can fly across faster then them! LOL

Not easy to do at all, but I have a couple of guys in the clan that can do it every time, looks so funny, watching troops breast stroking it mid air across the map . You can only do it on maps that have water on them tho.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 22 July 2003, 04:30 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

How do you do this Superman malarky? Come on spill the beans. Sounds like fun.
Old 22 July 2003, 04:33 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

How do you do that then, I wouldn't mind given that a try myself !!
Old 22 July 2003, 05:08 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I couldn't even begin to explain it tbh, Best off posting in our clan forums, Death or beatmeister can tell you, they can do it every time, gits! Don't have to be a clan member, just register and say I sent you there Best off asking in the Battlefield forum.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 22 July 2003, 05:09 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Yeah, it iss sooooooo funny to see ppl do it, if you are on tonight on ur server at some point and it is on a compatable map, I will get one of mthe guys to show you, as I get it right about 1 in 50! so get bored of trying and leave it to the pros First time I saw it I almost wet myself
Old 22 July 2003, 05:54 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

Might join you there, often on eauk servers (again best ping) as Wreckless.
Old 22 July 2003, 08:50 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Nick, wouldnt mind joining you once I get my ADSL sorted. Should be installed for eary August.

Ex top Q3/MOHAA clans and looking for something new
Old 22 July 2003, 09:42 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Cool, all are welcome
Old 23 July 2003, 09:54 AM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

Good fun last night, but you kept killing me on market garden bombing with that damn fighter footlong

One thing did annoy me, started as ally, fought through the map till the axis side had 25 tickets, then it swap me
Old 23 July 2003, 10:03 AM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Yep agree damn good fun on Market Garden last night I was doing really well on the allied team, but then the Mrs started moaning so couldn't spend that long on there!!!
Old 23 July 2003, 10:56 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Hehe, I was having a bad night last night, but I am playing on a much slower machine than I am used to. I take it you saw what I meant by the retards? Must have kicked/banned 4 people or so just in those 3 rounds! Using that ticket count, I avg about 20 or so tank kills per round normally . At least I am good for something. Feel free to drop in anytime Felt bad bombing you guys!
Old 23 July 2003, 11:36 AM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

I noticed you managed to stay up there most of the round, so you must have been staying the ally side of the river to keep clear of the flak cannons.

What controller do you use to fly the plane? I've been using a thrustmaster gamepad thing with analog stick, which beats using keys and is easier to get out of the way than a joystick when you end up bailing out. I'm getting better at the bombing and not too bad in a fight with other planes, tend to use the external behind view to see where they're shooting from to dodge. Still find the planes a bit twitchy, quite easy to roll 180 and head for the deck rather too fast if you're not careful.

I spend a fair bit of time in tanks, I'm pretty good in tank battles, the german panzer being the best probably, but it seems a bit unbalanced in that a few men with grenades can take a tank out, when in reality bazookas had trouble taking german tanks out.
Old 23 July 2003, 12:07 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Cool

Had a go last night, but Mr footlong disappeared about two minutes after I logged in so i didn't really get a chance to blow him up. Seems like a good server, although there was a bit of camping going on towards the end....

Will try again soon,
Iain (aka Gutgouger)
Old 23 July 2003, 12:09 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I stay away from the Axis base at virtually all times. I don't feel it really it fair to rape the Axis base and the flak in 1.4 is a beatch . The reason that I normally last all round on MG is because I always fly from behind and playt as engineer. I swap to cockpit only for the very rare bit of dogfighting that I do. Flying from behind is far better for precision bombing, flying through bridges, between building etc but also lets you see where the flak and gunfire is coming from more easily, so can avoid it far more easily and quickly. I fly with keyboard and mouse, as I have never got used to my Force Feedback 2 joystick. It gives a really non linear way of piloting, so easier to duck out of the way of flak etc IMO. Precision bombing is my thing, can lob bombs on target anywhere but no good really with dogfighting.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 23 July 2003, 12:31 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

I enjoy el alamein and gazala a lot and fly planes as engineer on there, loads of space to land and patch up your plane out of the way of everyone

Have to agree about the flak, but probably as vicious as it should be, just have to make sure you avoid it or catch them by suprise as a few good flak shots takes you straight down.

Interesting point about using keys, less fluid flight would certainly make for a harder target, but harder to fly.

Quick Reply: Anyone on here play BF1942?