Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What else can I do

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2003, 12:56 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My DVD drive is playing up. No idea when this has happened, but drive no longer recognises that a disk is loaded.
Click on "Q: Drive" get "Please load a disk" even though disk is loaded. Removed and reinstalled drivers, no change. "Eject" does eject the drive. No configuration changes or hardware changes. Some messing around with the registry, which is why I need the DVD drive so badly as my MS Works 2000 disk is a DVD and I need to reinstall MS Work to cure my other problems.

Any help/suggestion appreciated.
Old 18 July 2003, 03:46 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Try switching it from master to slave (or vice-versa) on the IDE bus (or move to different IDE bus) just in case the controller is playing up..

Old 18 July 2003, 03:52 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

WWSD, how do I do that?
P.S. I'm running Windows XP

[Edited by DavidLewis - 18/07/2003 15:53:11]
Old 18 July 2003, 04:23 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

One thing I've just noticed is that the DVD drive doesn't even attempt to "spin up" when you close the door (with or without cd loaded)
Old 19 July 2003, 06:34 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

messing with the registry(you naughty boy) might have turned the autoplay function of the dvd off.
Old 19 July 2003, 11:12 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Even with Autoplay off, you will always get a spin up of one sort or another if the drive is not having a paddy and working normally, it merely would not use the autorun.inf if present on the disc if aytoplay was disbled. Forget the registry for modding autoplay commands, merely download Tweakui from microsoft's site and you can click away to your heart's content altering autoplay settings etc.

Cheers,

Nick .