Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Networking problem

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2003, 12:43 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having problems logging onto our office network using my laptop. I'm a bit thick when it comes to these things but the guy in the office who knows a bit about computers has put together the following notes...

"Windows XP Pro & Windows 98/ME Networking problem

We have a Windows ME Peer to Peer network - yes not stable but moving to Windows 2000 Server will be too expensive (or will it - comments pls on how easy it is to migrate or whether we should consider Windows 2003)

All PC's in office which are networked are either running Win98SE or WinME. Specs range from 400Mhz to 1.1Ghz - most of work is spreadsheet based therefore fast cpu speeds are not an issue.

Our problem:

Purchased a Sony Laptop (Centrino model) with Windows XP Pro with both wireless networking & standard 10/100 LAN setup.

We were originally getting problems with the Sony seeing the network using the wireless connection but this has now been resolved (or it had!). Our wireless signal strength is Excellent. After a while the Sony recognised our network within minutes rather than hours - initially it took the Sony a while to "power up" or "warm up" to then see our network.

Last week the Sony "saw" the network within 5 minutes of booting up!

Today, the system is not seeing the network. No new software has been installed. No hardware changes have been made. No protocols or settings have been adjusted.

Even using the "ping" command with the IP address of the Server is coming up as "unreadable"

Our workgroup is similar to "John & Son" on our existing network. Windows XP Pro decided to rename it to "JOHNSON" as it cannot recognise spaces or the "&". We do not feel that this is the problem as it was recognising the network even with the "JOHNSON" workgroup instead of "John & Son".

We have installed (today) IPX/SPX hoping that this would help and we are "thinking" of installing "Netbeui" onto the Sony WinXP Pro laptop via the WinXP cd - we know it's an old protocol since Win95 days, but it is on our Server and other networked PC's & from the comments we have read they seem to indicate that it may help (any comments on this would be appreciated?).

The Internet Connection Firewall has been disabled. We are running Zonelabs ZoneAlarm Pro firewall s/ware but even if this is disabled it has no effect on whether the Sony sees the Network or not.

Any help, guidance, fixes would be most kindly appreciated"

Thanks in advance for any help

Bas
Old 14 July 2003, 03:33 PM
aqua
Scooby Regular

File and Print sharing enabled??
Old 14 July 2003, 03:57 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

The laptop cannot see the network, and nothing has changed since last week when it was working fine so that can't be the problem
Old 14 July 2003, 04:07 PM
aqua
Scooby Regular

I would still give file and print sharing a check rather than loading IPX unless you need that protocol for Novell. The less protocols you have floating/broadcasting on your peer to peer network the better.
Is the laptop given an Ip address automatically or does it have static? Can you ping any other known device by ip address?
Old 14 July 2003, 04:45 PM
Tsunami
Scooby Regular

you mentioned that its wireless....i suspect that you may be experiencing radio interferance - have u tried to change the radio channel u use?
Old 14 July 2003, 05:42 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

I would still give file and print sharing a check rather than loading IPX unless you need that protocol for Novell. The less protocols you have floating/broadcasting on your peer to peer network the better.
Is the laptop given an Ip address automatically or does it have static? Can you ping any other known device by ip address?
IPX was only installed today to see if that would sort out the problem...it hasn't been connecting for the last few days.

Yes the laptop is given an IP address automatically and no it doesn't have static. I can't ping to any other device by IP address.

you mentioned that its wireless....i suspect that you may be experiencing radio interferance - have u tried to change the radio channel u use?
The signal strength is 'Excellent' and in any case it won't ping even with a network cable.

Any more suggestions?

Cheers

Bas
Old 15 July 2003, 10:14 AM
aqua
Scooby Regular

are you using an XP box as the "main" system, have you exceeded 16 connections to it??

Trending Topics

Old 15 July 2003, 11:05 AM
Bas
Scooby Regular

are you using an XP box as the "main" system, have you exceeded 16 connections to it??
The server is running Windows Me and the laptop is on Windows XP Pro. There are a total of 10 connections.

Cheers

Bas
Old 15 July 2003, 11:22 AM
aqua
Scooby Regular

what device is handing out your IP addresses (DHCP)?
Can you run an ipconfig /all at a command prompt and make sure that the address absolutely corresponds with your network.
Are any other systems in the network conflicting with your address?
If you use the wired connection do you connect to a switch or hub?
Does the switch/hub show a link light when you connect?
Is the network card fully enabled and without exclaimation marks red crosses in Control Panel?
ME is a very poor OS in a business environment especially if you are using it as a main system/server (just my opinion by the way).