Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Linksys wireless-G broadband router and BT OpenWorld

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2003, 09:42 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine has bought the WRT54G router, but it only comes with a RJ45 cable for some reason.

What I'd like to know is:

a) Does anyone on here use one of these with BT Broadband ?
b) What cable do I need to link its RJ45 port to the BT Broadband modem ?

-DV

[Edited by DazV - 6/18/2003 9:58:32 PM]
Old 18 June 2003, 10:28 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether you CAN get an adapter to go from USB plug to RJ45 socket. They're 2 entirely different platforms aren't they ?

If you can great, tell me the info, if not - whats the best value wireless 802.11g hub I can replace the BT Alcatel USB modem with ?

-DV
Old 19 June 2003, 06:39 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Darren

YHM
Old 19 June 2003, 01:39 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Can you answer that on here as I have a mate with the same problem?

Ta,

Alex
Old 19 June 2003, 01:55 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Daz (et al)

I was recommended by ntl that the unit you mentioned would be good for me. Thing with ntl is that you get a coax connection in from the wall from the ntl supply which goes to the cable modem. THe cable modem has an RJ45 port on it which i will connect to the Wireless router. I think you have to get something different for BT (adsl router ????)

Dave
Old 19 June 2003, 02:05 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Yes, the essence of the problem is that BT in their bleeding wisdom use a $hitty ADSL USB modem that plugs into your PC's usb port. This in turn appears on your pc as a modem with a dialup connection to your broadband.

The wireless broadband router shown above, like most other routers don't use USB at all - they use an rj45 socket.

The solution to the problem is to bin your BT modem and buy a proper ADSL modem.

The benefits are that they're faster than the crappy bt modem and much more flexible - they plug into EITHER...

a) If you only use a single PC - your computer's vacant network socket (rj45)
b) If you're on a local network - your network hub

-DV

EDITED: I've removed the DLINK ADSL Modem I recommended because LinkSys (the makers of the above wifi router) say it doesn't work with their kit.

[Edited by DazV - 19/06/2003 14:08:25]

[Edited by DazV - 19/06/2003 14:21:21]
Old 19 June 2003, 02:20 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Just had an email from LinkSys saying the above WILL NOT work with the wireless router shown above.

DO NOT BUY THE DLINK adsl modem if you have the LinkSys WRT54G.

UPDATE: DLink are currently working on a firmware update, but nobody knows when it will be ready.

-Darren

[Edited by DazV - 19/06/2003 15:57:48]
Old 19 June 2003, 07:43 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Hi Darren

Linksys are wrong

It is actually Linksys that have the fault with their firmware - not D-Link [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Currently No Ethernet ADSL modem will work with Linksys routers due to their WAN DHCP Client disconnecting upon renewal instead of just refreshing This causes problems with downloads, other than that, the majority of Linksys routers would work with Ethernet ADSL modems.

To get any Linksys router to work on ADSL you unfortunately need a NAT ADSL Modem (ie Netgear DM602) or an ADSL router. The latter is a better alternative because you still get to use UPnP, VPN Pass Thru etc. Where as a NAT ADSL Modem is basically a very basic router and therefore have limited support on routing functions.

There are three main types of routers on the market

Cable/DSL routers (Starting to be known as Broadband Routers now )

ADSL Routers (built-in modem)

Cable Routers (built-in modem) Note Cable Routers are due to hit UK this 3rd Qtr

The difference is that Broadband Routers do not contain a built-in modem while ADSL Routers and Cable Routers have built-in modems so they plug directly into their Broadband Lines eliminating the need for 2 devices.

To connect a Broadband Router up you need an Ethernet Modem. With Cable the modem is supplied by the ISP while with ADSL you have the choice of various manufactures. However, with choice comes compatibility issues (aka Linksys router with D-Link modem).

[Edited by RoadrunnerV2 - 19/06/2003 19:54:48]
Old 19 June 2003, 08:22 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Cheers Roadrunner.

LinkSys definitely put the fault down to DLINK! Said they're re-doing their firmware to make it compatible.

A point worth mentioning about that Netgear box you mention - I think netgear haven't got ppoa approval, so it can't be used as a modem - just a router.

My mate went for a DLINK combo package of wireless broadband router and DLINK DSL modem.

-DV
Old 19 June 2003, 08:39 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

The DM602 is best classed as a NAT ADSL Modem because it’s an insult to routers if it's called a router because of the limited functionality it has

The reason why the DM602 doesn't work in PPPoA is because a) Netgear decide to not develop a PPPoA Client software for Ethernet and b) Broadband routers only have built-in PPPoE clients

However, I had a meeting with Netgear the other day and they are aware of this problem and will no doubt develop (fairly soon) a built-in PPPoA client similar to D-Link implementation.