Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP and User Profiles

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 09:34 AM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just installed XP Pro onto my pc and then spent a few days getting all my software installed.
However when I try to create a new user account, I get the following when trying to log in:

-----------------------
Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

Detail: The system cannot find the file specified.
-----------------------

I get the same message when I enable the guest account! Also when logging in as Administrator, I got a similar message but it said it was defaulting to a default profile.

Done some research on the web and it appears that when a new user is created, it takes the profile from a Default User directory which is in Documents and Settings.

However even after switching on the hidden files and see system files in the view folder options, the reason why I am struggling is that there is no Default User or Guest User directory structure set up.

I've tried to create 'dummy' profiles for these accounts so I can log in as guest or create new users. However it has not worked.

The only thing left is to re-install and get Windows XP to re-create the Adminstrator, Guest and Default User Account. At the moment I have the All User account and my own account correctly set up but not the others.

Is there anyway I can get Windows XP Pro to re-create itself the Guest, Administrator and Default User directory and files without re-installing!!

Please help??
Old 11 June 2003, 02:50 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I did a clean install and all is well now.