Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help needed from an IIS5 expert

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2003, 09:09 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I have a problem and can not figure out what is wrong here! all I can come up with is that IIS is crap or i am to stupid to be alive.
I am used to using unix and apache so this IIS stuff is a complete mystery to me.

Anyway here is my problem.

$guestbookreal = "E:\\InetPub\\wwwroot\\brians\\brian-smith\\guestbook\\guestbook.html";
$guestlog = "E:\\InetPub\\wwwroot\\brians\\brian-smith\\guestbook\\guestlog.html";
$badword_file = "E:\\InetPub\\wwwroot\\brians\\brian-smith\\guestbook\\badwords.txt";

the first two line works and is read and parsed but the 3rd line causes an error saying that the file cannot be found and it replces the b of badwords with a square box. What is different here? all 3 files are in the same directory and all are chmod 777 which is irrelevent but thought you might want to know anyway.

Just thought of another problem regarding the date.

on unix
$date_command = "/bin/date";

on a PC running IIS
$date_command = "??????????????";

Cheers

Steve

[Edited by Wurzel - 6/3/2003 12:57:19 PM]

[Edited by Wurzel - 6/3/2003 10:22:40 PM]
Old 03 June 2003, 11:12 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
\b is probably being read as a control character. Why are the slashes so inconsistent? Surely that's the first thing you should try. Make them all double backslashes
Old 03 June 2003, 01:03 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

jlanng It took me ages to figure out the slashes as it is, I tried \\ \/ /\between all the directories and files and it did not work, I then messed about with different combinations and finally got it to work exactly as you see it. As I say I am no IIS guru I have never used it before and I don't know how the server is configured or even it it matters. It is totally bizarre that you should need to setup paths in this way in the first place.
Old 06 June 2003, 08:45 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

This is still a problem that I really do need help with, the ISP is not much help and the web has not proved much help either, I need to find out why the badwords.txt file is not being read, it comes up with an error message saying something about incomplete HTML headers.

Also the date format is not /bin/date on a pc so where or what is it?

Also the perl script is designed to use sendmail and PCs don't have sendmail by default, if an IIS server is installed and configured will it have sendmail installed aswell if so where??

Cheers

Steve
Old 06 June 2003, 11:41 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,

Honestly, sounds like your ISP ain't much cop. You would be better off getting some hosting from a company who cares and by the sound of it, who runs Un*x boxes.

But anyway, unlikely that they have sendmail (as you understand it) installed on a IIS box. They may well have an executable you can call to send an email though, most ISPs have a common set of script/exe's you can call for common website stuff.

Cheers

Ian